Help on "direct Mode on Denon 1603

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JamieS, Feb 26, 2003.

1. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

I did a search but most of the info was on other Denon modles that are much more expensive than my 1603 and may work in a different manner.

I have denon 1603, Paradigm Monitor 7s and Pw 2200 subwoofer. I am usin the coax output from a Hitachi DVD player. In the setup I have front speakers set as small, crossover set at 80 HZ. The crossover on the SUB is set at 100HZ to avoid and "cascding crossover" effect.

Question is given my connections and seeting what will I get in direct vs stereo mode. Does anyone have definite answers to any of these questions:
    1. Is a signal being sent to the sub in DIRECT MODE.
    2. If so is it being crossed over at 80 hz or is it being handled by the sub crossover (100hz)

Thanks for all the help.

2. Shane_Lentini

I have an 1803, however I believe the Direct mode is the same. When listening in Direct mode, all it does is NOT allow you to adjust tone levels (bass/treble). Your sub should still get a signal from whatever material is lower than your xovers setting.

3. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

There might be some confusion between Direct mode and Tone Defeat. Tone defeat keeps the Bass or Treble from having an effect regadless of which mode you use, Pro Logic II, Stero 5 Channel Stero etc.

Direct Mode "supposedly bypassed the reciever processing.

I did find that in direct you can turn the sub down past -12 Db and it turns the sub OFF and sends bass to the speakers. BUT I still do not understand if I am getting a signal to the sub if it is crossed over at 80 HZ by the reciever (which sould not have an effect in DIRECT) or if Bass is passed directly to the sub and handled by the sub crossover set at 100 HZ.

Anyone help?

4. steve_p_w

steve_p_w Auditioning

If you call Denon customer service there is someone who can explain it very thoroughly to you. He has helped me several times and is very willing to spend time with you. I have a 2802 and my understanding is that in DIRECT, all digital processing and tone circuitry is bypassed, except for the bass management portion. Therefore you still will pass whatever frequencies you want on to the sub. As you noted, you can turn the sub level below-12 and it cuts off completely. Anything below the crossover point set on the receiver is then redirected to the mains.

By all means though, call Denon sometime. The guy that always answers when I call is a wealth of information and a joy to talk with. Good Luck.