help on connections

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by dave kavanaugh, Aug 4, 2004.

1. dave kavanaugh

dave kavanaugh Auditioning

Good morning. I have purchased the hd directv dvr w/tivo, and it is being installed this weekend.

My question is that if I run an optical cable to my amp/receiver for the audio, is that enough to receive audio for all broadcasts? I was going to run the dvi cable from the hd box directly to my tv. Do I need to
    run component (BGR) cables as well. My amp has outputs for component video. So I was going to wire it this way:

Dvi from HD box to TV (Samsung HLP5063)
    Optical from HD box to Amp/receiver (Sony strde995)
    Digital coax from DVD to Amp/receiver
    Component (BGR) from DVD to Amp/Receiver
    Component (BGR) from HD box to Amp/Receiver
    Component (BGR) from Amp/Receiver to Tv.

Dvi is supposed to be the best picture quality, as optical/digital coax is supposed to be the best sound. I am confused if these connections will carry all programming (HD & SD) or if they are all necessary?

Since Directv is all digital, I assume that I would not need other audio connections besides the optical.

Any info would be appreciated.

D.J.

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

The only way these will not carry all programming is if your HD-DVR box does not transmit analog audio as digital (some boxes do not). If this is the case, you will need a set of analog audio cables in addition to the optical digital audio. All the connections you have are necessary for the best picture/sound except the component from HD box to receiver. If the HD box outputs via DVI, the component is unnecessary. If using DVI for the HD box, you can eliminate the component from receiver to TV and just connect the DVD directly to the tv, because you have no switching to do at the receiver anyway.

3. dave kavanaugh

dave kavanaugh Auditioning

In other words, run all video directly between the DVD/video, and Satellite receiver to the TV.

All audio runs to the receiver.

4. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Yes, that will do it. Unless you need one button audio/video switching at the receiver, but it does not sound like your receiver has DVI in/out, so for that you would have to forego DVI and connect both using component->receiver->TV.