help on choosing speakers and receivers (newbie)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Hoffman_P, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Hoffman_P

Hoffman_P Auditioning

Hello, I'm a newbie in this home theater world. I used to mod my car but now I feel bore with that and started to getting interest on this home theater stuff.
    I almost got eaten by those Bose crap sound systems. But after reading some of the thread here and also hear the difference in circuit city. I feel that I should stay away from bose.
    Anyway, I am thinking of spending around $1000-1200 for everything (sub, rear, front, center, and receiver if possible include with cable and stand) Could any body suggest me something with a good quailty in those price range?
    Right now, I am very interested on either Polk Audio RM 7200 or RM 6200 for the speakers system and Denon AVR-1603 for the receiver.
    Please help on choosing the first Home Theater for me
    [​IMG] !!! Any other suggestion for the speaker systems and receiver are welcome as long as still in those price range.
    Thanks,
    Hoffman

2. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

Well, as far as the receiver, you cant go wrong with the Denon. I have the 1602, it was also my "first" receiver & I see no point in upgrading to higher doller equipment any time soon.
    As far as the speakers go, YOU need to be the final decision maker, what sounds good to one person sounds bad to another. The best idea is too drive around and see what YOU like. I decided on an all Klipsch setup. I was able to listen to them with the receiver that I owned and found it too be the best for my ears. Denon and Klipsch go well together.

3. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I'll make a few suggestions, I advise if you can to find a set of JBL NSP-1 package as your speakers (might wait around, hopefully someone will post a site and a cheap price), AudioSource SW-15 for your sub (will also need to modify it but at $149.01 inc shipping from Ubid.com it seems a bargain), and I'd recommend buying a quality AVR from Denon, Outlaw, or Yamaha to round out the collection.