Help on choosing a speaker wire

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kenneth Ho, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Kenneth Ho

Kenneth Ho Auditioning

Hi all,

I need help on picking a set of wire for my speaker. I own a PSB Stratus Silver and B&K 307. My preference is soft and clear kind of music. I stopped by at a few local stereo shop, and they usually recommended the wire that is like $1-$2 a feet. What do you think of those? My budget is not too high, but would like to buy something that is best bang of bucks. I am looking to buy 20 feet. So please give me some recommendation. thanks!!!

Ken

2. RayJK

RayJK Stunt Coordinator

Wire and cable and if they make any difference is a subject of on going debate. From a purely electrical viewpoint you need only to look at how far you have to run the wires and how much power you are running. For the vast majority of users 14 gage will handle everything they have as it is good to over 100' and 300 watts. What you can get in bulk at Home Depot or Lowes will work just fine. Use some good termination like banana plugs or spades and you'll be set.

3. Kenneth Ho

Kenneth Ho Auditioning

I also heard from other members that speaker wire will affect the sound quality.

4. RayJK

RayJK Stunt Coordinator

As i mentioned, this is a subject of on-going debate. My only comment will be that nobody has detected the differences in non networked wire under test conditions. Seems rather odd considering the "drastic change","increased soundstage", "vast difference" and all the other descriptions that are sometimes used for wire change.

5. Mat_M

Mat_M Stunt Coordinator

Home depot 12 Gauge wire: 33 cents/foot

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

if your preference is soft and clear music, it won't be speaker cables that prevent you hearing that.

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I like the 12G webwire from www.spidergear.com or the 12G bulk stuff from Home Depot. Some people think speaker wire makes a difference; I'm not one of them. It may make a difference with really high end stuff, but not enough for me to care and my stuff's not really high end.

8. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

9. Kenneth Ho

Kenneth Ho Auditioning

Thanks for all of your replies. I will try to check out places like Radio Shack and Home Depot. Thanks again