What's new

Help on buying my first Home Theatre (1 Viewer)

disposedtrolley

Auditioning
Real Name
James
I'm looking for a HTIB with full tall-boy speakers that i can connect a Xbox 360, Wii, Blu-Ray player and cable TV to. I want at least 2 HDMI inputs, 2 component inputs and 1 composite input for my Wii. Im looking at the Yamaha YHT-495 but i cant seem to find any stock in Australia. I want the price tag to be below $1000 if possible. (Nothing over $1200 will do)

Sorry, im a complete newbie to this;)

EDIT:

Also, can i use the speakers that come with a HTIB with any receiver?

Thanks

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
If you can find this one over there, it will be a good one. It appears to have everything you'll need.
Onkyo HT-S9100THX - THX® Integrated System Plus? Certified 7.1-Channel Home Theater System | Model Information | Onkyo USA Home Theater Products
I guess to get the speakers tall, you could put them on stands.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

And yes, these speakers should work with any receiver, but not all HTIB speakers will work with any receiver.

Click on this link, then click on "See Rear View", and see the inputs:
HT-S9100THX Image Gallery | Onkyo USA Home Theater Products
4 HDMI inputs, 2 sets component inputs, and several analog inputs. It also has 7.1 multi-channel inputs. 2 Optical and 2 digital coax inputs tops it off.
Onkyo makes good stuff, and get good bang for the buck.

disposedtrolley

Auditioning
Real Name
James
Awesome, do you know where i can buy them in Australia without purchasing online? I want to avoid the shipping costs. Also, where do i purchase stands that are not over $150? (Again, not online if possible) Does any el cheapo stand work? ($20) or should i consider the more costly ones?

disposedtrolley

Auditioning
Real Name
James
I dont think i can find any stocklists in Australia for the Onkyo. Any other recommendation or could i just buy a HTiB and then get a good receiver?

Thanks

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I know nothing about Australia. Sorry.
If you can't find anything good, locally, online may be your only option. Here in the US, I recently bought an Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver from Amazon.com with free shipping. A lot of online sites will give free shipping when spending that much money.

As far as stands, it depends on what speakers you get, and how they attach to stands (on the bottom, screw to the back, or stands clamp to sides of speakers).

If you like the Onkyo HTIB I listed, you can contact Onkyo (through their site), and ask them what dealers are near you.
Good luck!

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart

You should just buy a good receiver and then get speakers (not a HTIB).

PS. you can't buy a Home Theatre. You can build a home theater or you can buy home theater equipment for your living room, but you can't buy a home theater.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks