Help on 3-way floorstanders

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by David_Moechnig, May 1, 2004.

1. David_Moechnig

David_Moechnig Stunt Coordinator

I'm new to the DIY forum here, I've been watching for a while and the thought of new main speakers and a center channel is intruiging. The Polk Audio RT35i's and CS245i are getting a little long in the tooth. They are great speakers for the money but after hearing several other brands I want something different. I discovered one of the teachers at school is into DIY and is willing to help especially with the crossover design but I want some input on the drivers and tweeters I have picked out. I've been looking through Parts Express and found what I beleive to be a nice setup. Looking at some Morel DMS-30 tweeters, Davis Acoustics 100CKW8DF 4" midrange, and a Vifa MG22WO09-08 8 1/2" woofer. I'm thinking about a crossover at 400Hz and 2.2kHz respectively. As for the cabinent, I would probably build the first prototype out of 3/4" MDF with a trapezoidal profile from front, top, and sides. The center channel would emply the same tweeter and midrange but with a 5 1/5" or 6 1/2" woofer. Woodworking will not be a problem, I'm no stranger to woodworking or trigonometry for the complex angles on the trapezoidal cabinent. I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions on my design.

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

The big obsticle here is the crossover design. Even with your teacher's help, unless he has done this before and has the equipment, the task is daunting. A number of provven plans for tower kits are out there where the heavy lifting has already been done- just follow the recipe.

3. Aaron Gilbert

Aaron Gilbert Second Unit

I'm unsure how well that Davis midrange would work out. For one thing, it starts rolling off on the top end earlier than the Vifa woofer you've chosen. Although, given a 2.2kHz crossover, that may not be a huge issue if the slope is steep enough. However, it also has a 10 dB peak at 8kHz, which ideally you'd want to tame, even though it's well outside the stopband. I bet there are quite a number of small midranges out there which lack the peak or early rolloff, and most are probably less expensive. That just in my opinion, of course. Perhaps the Davis has other attributes which make up for it.

The woofer and tweeter look great though, and the cabinet certainly sounds unique.

Aaron Gilbert

4. David_Moechnig

David_Moechnig Stunt Coordinator

Aaron,
    Do you have any other suggestions for a midrange? It looks like this project is going to come to completion by the end of the summer and I'd like to start getting the cabinet design worked out a little better as far as size and porting goes.

David

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The Lyra uses the Dayton 285-010 Midrange (2" dome), as well as the more ambitious Veritas (both by Wayne J.).

I've used the Morel MDM-55 in my center channel.

Either of those would need to be crossed over around 800Hz-1000Hz with the woofer, so choose the woofer carefully as well.