Help on 2 questions

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Victor.R, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Victor.R

Victor.R Auditioning

I am a newbie and need your help. I have 2 questions. The first question is if you can connect a 5.1 speaker system to a 6.1 or 7.1 reciever. The second is how do you connect a cable box Explorer 4200 HD to an HDTV and DVD and a reciever. [​IMG]

2. adamKI

adamKI Stunt Coordinator

Welcome to HTF, Victor!

1. Yes, you can connect 5 speakers to a 6.1 or 7.1 receiver. There should be a setup option that allows you to select how many speakers you are using.

2. There are many ways to do this depending on your equipment:
    a) If your TV has two component inputs(Y Pb Pr / Y Cb Cr) you can hook the Cable box to component input 1 and the DVD to component input 2 and for audio connect digital optical or coax from the Cable box and DVD to your receiver.
    b) If your receiver has component video switching and there's only one component input on your TV then you can hook both sources up to your reciever and send the component output to your TV.
    c) If your TV has only one input and your receiver doesn't do component switching then you can buy a standalone component video switch (check avtoolbox.com among others for more info.

If you give us more info on your equipment, someone can probably give you more detailed instructions. Hope this helps!!!

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I will just clarify #1 a little bit to make sure you know how to go about that:

Your receiver, should have a menu area where you can select specifically which speakers you have hooked up, and you need to turn OFF those that you do not have hooked up. For a 5.1 setup, and a 6.1/7.1 receiver, you should check to make sure that the read back or rear back L rear back R are turned off. Your receiver should then not apply any processing to create any channels back there, and you should get full 5.1 out of the speakers you have, that you should setup and calibrate, etc.