Help! No TV sound through Denon 3802

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mike Cheshareck, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Mike Cheshareck

Mike Cheshareck Auditioning

I have never been able to get TV sound through my Denon 3802. The DVD sounds tremendous, but no TV sound. The first try was with RCA cables with my satellite and no dice. I tried different inputs and made the on screen set up adjustments to the TV/DBS input on the reciever, and still nothing. That didn't bother me too much, as my TV has pretty good sound and I didn't feel like I was missing out on much. I just got comcast cable with a HDTV DVR, and with all of the Dolby Digital sound being broadcast I would love to hear it through my system, so I can get sound to match the great picture. I used the optical cable that I know works from my DVD and hooked it from the DVR to the optical 2 spot on the reciever. After making the correct set up adjustments to get TV/DBS on optical 2, I still have no sound. Same when I switch it to optical 1, which I know works since I run my DVD through that. The face of the reciever says TV/DBS analog, and I get no sound. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You need to switch it to digital, it's looking at the analog inputs. Some receivers you can assign the digital input, but it may still be "looking" at the analog ones, and there is an A/D switch that should switch between the digital and analog inputs assigned to that source. OR - did you check to see that the HD box is sending out signal? (does the optical cable light up?)

3. Mike Cheshareck

I will try hit the digital button on it again, I might have hit the Dolby Digital button before and that didn't work. Also the DVR is hooked to the TV with RCA's, I will look at the instructions and see if I need to reassign the output to the optical output.

Thanks, Mike

4. John S

John S Producer

make sure you do not have L/R Analog hooked up to the same source on the AVR. It gets sort of weird with Denon AVR's when you do that. At least when I do it, I have to hit the input button on my Denon 4802 to get it to switch to digital if I have my analog L/R hooked up as well.

5. Mike Cheshareck

I don't have anything analog hooked up right now. Thanks for the help.

6. John S

John S Producer

I would still assume your hitting the input button?

I am not sure, I have never had an issue like this with a 3802 with pretty much experience with that AVR over the past few years.

7. Mike Cheshareck

Well, I got home and my 1 year old daughter fixed it. I walk in the house and hear 5.1 sound from what my wife was watching on HBO, and look at the front of the reciever and it says TV/DBS digital. My wife said my daughter was messing with the remote pressing buttons, and she must have hit digital. I guess my daughter is better than me at setting up home theaters. Now, with it on auto it jumps right to TV sound when I turn it on. Thanks for the help everyone.

8. John S

John S Producer

"Well, I got home and my 1 year old daughter fixed it"

Classic!!! [​IMG]

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    [​IMG] They keep getting smarter. [​IMG]

10. Mike Cheshareck

"They keep getting smarter."

Yeah, I guess the baby Einstein tapes work. She just turned 1 on Sept. 10th, too, and she's already showing me how to do things. I'm in trouble.

11. DustinPizarro

DustinPizarro Stunt Coordinator

You should definitely register her as a member to this forum. [​IMG]

12. Steve_L

Steve_L Stunt Coordinator

Sometimes we just make things too damn complicated.