What's new

HELP! No Sound! (1 Viewer)

Steve Gazi

Stunt Coordinator
I just hooked together my Kenwood VR-507 and my Panasonic RV-31 DVD player. I am using an optical audio cable from my DVD player to my receiver. I can get video when I play my DVDs, but I don't get any sound. I've run the test tone to see if I get sound. The sound is sort of like the crowd from a sports game. Is that what I'm supposed to hear? I don't have my surrounds hooked up, so I turned those off. I have my fronts and my center connected. I get the test sound from all three speakers. I just tried the tuner and all I get is normal static. I did this to see if the test tone was just static, but it's definately a different sound. Do I need to set my DVD player different, or what?

Ches Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
you need to set your DVD player to send a DOlby Digital and DTS signal. Push action on the remote and scroll through the menus till you get to the one where you can turn DD and DTS on and off. The default setting is off, so you ned to turn it on. This shoudl do the trick.
Later

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Yes. On your DVD player menu, there should be an 'optical' setting in the audio area. Depending on the player, you will either have to turn it on, or simply switch a setting from analog to optical.
When you have an optical cable but it's not set, the cable will still override your default audio which is why you aren't hearing anything. As for the 'crowd noise,' it may just be speaker hum or perhaps your subwoofer.
Hope this is helpful in any way... sorry if it's not. :)
Joseph

Steve Gazi

Stunt Coordinator
I hooked up my PS2 and I get sounds through that. I'm going to work on my DVD player now. I hooked up my Sony SM-40 sub, but it's not doing anything. I have it connected to the subwoofer pre-amp connection on my receiver and the line in on the sub. It's got power and I have it turned on on the receiver.

Steve Gazi

Stunt Coordinator
In my audio menu I have the following:

PCM Downconversion: Off

Dolby Digital: Bitstream

DTS Digital Surround: Bitstream

D. Range Comp: Forget what it is

Audio Dir Sea: Forget what it is

I do have sound now.

First I have to set the above to the best settings. I also need to know what mode to set my receiver at. There are a bunch of setting that have sound, but I don't know which to use. My powered sub still isn't doing anything.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Make sure you press the "Input mode" button on the front of your receiver until the display reads "D-AUTO". Since you are using optical, do you have the connection plugged into the CD/DVD input?

Steve Gazi

Stunt Coordinator
I have it set to D-AUTO. I get sound from the DVD player. In the manual it says you can set it to 3 STEREO, which is the fronts, center and subwoofer. Everytime I set it to that, it shows up with all those speakers in the little speaker diagram, but them just the L and R one stay lit. I haven't heard anything from my subwoofer yet. I don't get any sound in any mode with it set on DVD 6.1, but I get sound with CD/DVD. I don't know why the subwoofer and center channel don't stay lit on that diagram?
Which plug should I have the sub plug going to? Subwoofer pre-amp, or the one that just says subwoofer?
Here's a link to the back of my receiver:
http://crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-OPW...507&display=XL

Steve Gazi

Stunt Coordinator
I did have a 12' 75ohm coax cable with adapters for my sub cable. I swapped it out for the cheapo one that came with it. It worked! Not sure what wrong with the good cable I bought for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks