Help No Picture.....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd P, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Todd P

Todd P Auditioning

Ok on Thursday my Yamaha HTR-5450 and Sony SA-VE325(speakers) arrived so I begun to hook everything up with no problems. The only thing that didn't get hooked up was the VCR because I needed more cables so I decided to wait until later with the VCR. Everything that was to be working had been working until this evening when I decided to hook up the VCR. After hooking up the VCR I had no Video on the VCR and Satellite but I had Audio!!! DVD is working great with Audio and Video.
    Everything is being hooked up via S-Video besides the VCR.
    Any suggestions?
    Oh the TV is a 50" Pioneer(10yrs Old) but it has S-video[​IMG]
    Sorry for the newbie post.
    Thanks
    Todd

2. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

now i am probably as n00b as you, but it sounds to me like your vcr is connected via composite cables, where everything else is svideo? i think only higher end recievers can convert composite video into svideo. you will probably have to hook the vcr directly into the tv and do switching between the vcr and svideo input on the tv...

3. Todd P

Todd P Auditioning

Thanks for the reply but even if I have the VCR unpluged I get nothing with my satellite??? Right my concern is the with the Satellite having no Video but it has Audio.

Thanks

Todd

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Am I correct that the satellite video is connected by S-video? If so, check the connections at both ends. You'd be surprised how easily an S-video connector can work loose, and it only takes a little bit of "play" for the picture to disappear. Whenever you change any wiring (as you just did with the VCR), it's always a good idea to check the S-video connectors.
    As for the VCR, David is correct. If the only connection from your receiver to your TV is S-video, you'll only get S-Video sources. You'll need to run an additional composite connection from the receiver to the TV. And if your TV gives you a choice between something like "Input 1" and "Input 2" (or "Video 1" and "Video 2"), I'd recommend running the S-video and the composite lines from the receiver to different inputs.
    M.