What's new

Help! No Dolby Digital from Sony HT (1 Viewer)

Paul Powell

Auditioning
Hello,

I just installed my Sony HT but can't get the reciever to recognize the Dolby Digital signal from the DVD player. When I put the reciever in AFD Auto mode it doesn't "light up" the dolby digital indicator and the sound only plays from the right, left, and subwoofer speakers. If I put into Pro Logic mode manually all speakers output sound. I have the DVD connector connected via the coax cable and the coax indicator "lights" on the reciever indicating the reciever is recieving sound through the coax cable. Am I missing something?

Reciever:
Sony STR-K750P

DVD Player:
Sony DVP-NS315

Thanks for any help,
Paul

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
You have to enable "bitstream" for DD and DTS output on the DVD player. It is probably set to PCM now. 9 times out of 10 when someone is not getting DD or DTS, this is the culprit.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
You need to set the DVD player up to output DD. I'm not sure where in the menus it is, but they always used to do this and I'm sure things haven't changed

Brent

Paul Powell

Auditioning
Ok thanks, figured it out. I had to go into the DVD menus and select to output through the Coax rather than the RCA outputs. A few things tripped me up:

o Even though the DVD player was set to ouput through RCA connections, it still sent sound through the coax, just not a digital one. This led me to believe the DVD player was configured correctly.

o To change the DVD output from RCA to Coax requires stopping the playing DVD. If the DVD is playing no menu option is presented to switch the output.

o I had lost the DVD player manual (finally located it *after* figuring it all out!)

Thanks for the help, this forum is great!

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Small correction for your future understanding: The digital Coax or Digital Optical connection are for digital signals. Your DVD player was still outputting a digital signal (PCM-the same that is contained on a CD) in stereo, rather than the DD or DTS that you must enable on the player for it to output over that cable instead. Glad you figured it out. :emoji_thumbsup:

Paul Powell

Auditioning
Chris,

You are correct. However there was another menu option asking which connection I'm using, coax or analog. So even if I had DD enabled, if that particular selection was set to analog, no DD was sent through the coax.

Regards

scott>sau

Stunt Coordinator
Paul, also confirm that the Sony in initial setup 2 "surround" is set to ON, Audio DRC and Audio ATT to OFF, and in 5.1 Output setup 1 set the sub to the large icon , satellites to small for bass management, and in 5.1 Output setup 2 "mode" should be set to OFF, (this bypasses Pro Logic and Virtual Surround).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks