help! no audio using jvc xv-sa75gd (dvd-audio)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alex Martinez, Nov 20, 2001.

1. Alex Martinez

Alex Martinez Auditioning

i picked up the sa75gd yesterday (after reading so many good things about it on this forum), along w/ metallica's black album on dvd-audio. well, forgive me for being a dummy :b , but i could not get it to play properly. any suggestions?

some background on my setup:

i don't have a 5.1 input receiver at the moment, so i am connected via optical. i know that this will not allow me to listen to the higher resolution tracks (24/96), but it _should_ let me hear the dolby digital track (the disc clearly states that there is a dd track, in addition to a high rez surround and a high rez stereo).

i've tried tweaking the audio preferences on the player, and all 3 modes (pcm only, dolby digital/pcm, and stream/pcm, i think) resulted in no audio. fwiw, i can hear the elektra opening credits music.

thanks in advance...

2. Peter Rohlfs

Peter Rohlfs Stunt Coordinator

Good news and bad news:

I have the same player, from what I remember there is a section on approx 2/3 of the way into the manual telling you if you use media x, the sound will come out of y.

In the case of DVD Audio to sound does not go out the Bitstream port, even in PCM stereo.

So your player isn't broken, but to hear your DVD A you will need to use analog connectors. You will need to check the book if the DVD-A sound will come out the stereo connections, I know it does come out the 5.1 outputs.

I'm at work, so I can't check the maual now.

Good Luck,

Peter

3. Alex Martinez

Alex Martinez Auditioning

thanks for the info. i'll play with it some more when i get home, but i'm still confused. why have a dolby digital track on there if you can't pass it digitally? i guess the reason is for backwards compatability w/ non dvd-a player. but if that's the case, that would mean my inferior player will allow me play the dd track, but the better player won't let me! [​IMG]
    my problem will go away when i get an onkyo 898 for x-mas, but in the meantime, i guess i won't be able to hear any surround mixes...[​IMG]

4. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

If your JVC is anything like my Panasonic, there should be a menu setting to allow it to read the DVD-Video section of a DVD-Audio disc. Set that, and you'll be able to play the DD tracks. You might also look into plugging it into a set of stereo inputs on your receiver, that way you might be able to hear the 24/96 stereo if your receiver doesn't turn the analog signal into a digital one at some point.

5. Jay_E

Jay_E Stunt Coordinator

I think I recall reading somewhere that the JVCs do not have this setting (i.e. there is no way to play the DD tracks on a DVD-A). I have the older JVC 723 and don't remember seeing a setting for this. I don't have any DVD-A media yet so I can't test it. I do have the DVD-A demo disc that came with the unit, but it doesn't have any DD tracks. Good luck.

Jay