Help? No audio on Pioneer DV-440 DVD player!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wayne A. Pflughaupt, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Hello guys and gals,

I have a friend who got a Pioneer DV-440 DVD player for Christmas, and she can’t get it to work. I stepped her through the settings over the phone, and I didn’t have any luck either.

This is set up in her daughter’s bedroom to a TV/VCR combo, so only the analog RCA outputs are needed. This should be a no brainer – we set Dolby Digital to PCM (I think the options were 5.1 or PCM), PCM to 48kHz (didn't work with either the 48 or 96kHz settings), DTS to off, and Digital Output to off. We’re not getting any audio through the RCA jacks, and we tried it on her own DPL receiver as well as the combo.

Does anyone here have this player who can tell me if we’re just overlooking something, or is it DOA?

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

Look to see if there's a DVD-player menu item called Downmix, and make sure it's not set to OFF. Mine has two other settings, Lo/Ro and Lt/Rt, and what you want is Lt/Rt, which is matrixed.

This has to do with the DVD player downmixing DD to a matrixed form that analog outputs can handle.

This should only be a problem with (1) DVDs that have ONLY a DD soundtrack, or (2) DVDs where the viewer forgot to select the non-DD soundtrack from the DVD's menu. But once the downmix option is set right, it will always play no matter what kind of DVD or what DVD menu choice is made.

(I had exactly the same problem until I noticed that Downmix was set to OFF. I made the mistake of assuming that anything I didn't understand--and downmix was definitely one--should be OFF. Silly me.)

3. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

I got my dad this player for xmas and the audio jacks going straight into his TV. When I hooked it up and turned it on, the audio worked fine. I changed nothing in DVD players setup menu at all.

Jeff

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Well, based on Jeff’s information, I thing it’s safe to say this one is DOA. Thanks for the input, fellas!

Regards

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

The analog inputs should have worked as soon as you hooked it up, this might be a DOA.

6. Paul E V

Paul E V Stunt Coordinator

On the back off my DV-F727 there's a switch for 'composite' or 'component' ------ though if I remember correctly it was video I wasn't getting