Help - No Audio On My Laptop!!!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by MarcoBiscotti, Jul 10, 2005.

1. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I STILL don't have my home theater setup yet and am still deprived of DVD watching and am slowly going insane.

I borrowed a Toshiba laptop with a DVD-ROM drive from my grandmother today which runs this WINDVD program to playback discs... BUT, no sound!!!

I'm so frustrated, I spent an hour and a half trying to figure out what the problem was. I've tried just about everything and am getting tired and want nothing more than to be able to lie in bed tonight and watch a movie before I fall asleep... Please help me do this!!

I tried playing a regular audio file from one of Window Media Player's sample tracks earlier and even than no sound came out... what could be the problem?

IF YOU CAN HELP ME WATCH A MOVIE TONIGHT I WILL BE FOREVER GRATEFUL!

Thank you.

2. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

There's some program installed called SOUNDMAX which is set as the default audio device.

3. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Sorry, Marco...but only desktops in our family.

But, have you checked all the simple things like making sure the speakers weren't muted by the owner so they could use headphones-only? You know, like Windows volume control being muted?

Is there any external audio control (like a volume wheel) on the outside of the laptop case?

Wish I could be of more help....but since I happened along, I thought I'd give it a try.

4. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Double click on the little audio icon in your desktray in the lower right-hand corner of your screen. If any of the little "mute" boxes have a check-mark in them...unselect them and you should be all set. Or, if any of the sliders are all the way at the bottom, slide 'em up until you get the volume you want.

That's just one possiblity. Some people mute the sound because they tire easily of pre-installed start-up sounds or "You've Got Mail"-type sfx.

BTW, the computer I'm using is running Windows ME and it also has SoundMax Digital Audio, FWIW.

5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Gosh, I hope Marco hasn't fallen asleep already! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I haven't Mike!

(well... I have since last night, but I figured it out)

YES!

I'm an idiot. It took me 2 hours of extensive searching and troubleshooting and running program tests and checking the system and hardrive properties to realize this. Thanks. haha.

The volume wheel on the side of the computer was turned down all the way.