Help! Newcomer needs advice on what speakers to purchase

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jay_Kr, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Jay_Kr

Jay_Kr Auditioning

Hi, this is my first post here, and I'm hoping some of you (or maybe many of you) can give me some advice about what speakers to buy for my new home theater setup. I stumbled on this forum by accident but have found it VERY informative.

I have a budget of around $2000. I'm looking for floorstanding speakers and a center channel, and a subwoofer to start with. My general philosophy is that while I'm on a budget, I don't want to buy garbage. I'm willing to pay a little more to get quality stuff that will last me a long time.

My head hurts already from reading through several of the threads and seeing people talk about brands and model numbers I've never heard of before. Basically my knowledge of home theater comes from looking at the selections of the big retailers in my area (Circuit City, Best Buy, Ultimate Electronics). I've seen brands like JBL, Klipsich, Polk, Infinity, but I will be the first to admit I am not knowledgable about the seemingly endless array of alternative brands and smaller manufacturers out there. I am certainly not averse to buying from a reputable online dealer, although I am not familiar with the biggest or the best ones out there.

I bought Infinity car stereo speakers about 3 years ago and really liked them, and had been looking at Infinity's line of speakers. But I haven't seen anyone talking about them, which leads me to think they may not have that great of a reputation.

So basically I'm asking for opinions as to what I should go with. JBL seems to be a good brand from what I've read, but others seem sold on Canadian brands that I've never heard of before. Help! As for the subwoofer - I really want a subwoofer! LOL! I don't mind causing earthquakes!

Seriously, any adivce will be greatly appreciated.

2. Jay_Kr

Jay_Kr Auditioning

Forgot to mention - my receiver is a Sony STR-DE935. I'd be more than willing to upgrade this if there is a certain kind of receiver that works well with a certain brand of speakers.

3. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Welcome Jay

Couple questions.

You are only looking for a 5.1 set-up, not 7.1? If not 7.1 why not?

What kind of display are you using?

If you upgrade your receiver, that would be included in the $2,000 or would you spend more to upgrade your receiver?

What kind of subwoofer crossover choices (if any) does your Sony receiver have? It might be fixed at 120 Hz?

Why the need for floorstanders?

Couple thoughts.

Your receiver is lacking in several areas. Most important, it does not have speaker/room EQ. That feature can work wonders for both ANY speakers you buy and also take care of room anomalies. Having a receiver with an adjustable sub X-Over will pay off when you choose a subwoofer.

The need for floorstanders makes your proposition more difficult, but it can be done.

Just a few preliminaries.

4. Jay_Kr

Jay_Kr Auditioning

5.1 is not a requirement, I would be more than willing to upgrade to 7.1. As with the speakers, I am somewhat in the dark as to which brand of receiver is better than others.

My display is a 62" Toshiba HDTV, only about a month old. So I'm looking to build the sound system around this TV which I have been extremely happy with.

My $2000 budget could accomodate everything, but I might be willing to go a little over.

Subwoofer crossover - see, this is an example of where I'm not educated on the terminology. I'm not sure what subwoofer crossover means.

Floorstanders - no particular reason for these, except maybe that it's more work to mount speakers on the walls. Why are floorstanders not perferable?

5. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Sub crossover simply means the frequency at which the sub takes over reproduction of sound; this is usually at 80Hz. Your main speakers can reproduce sound down below this, but its best to let the sub handle this from 80Hz down (less power requirements to the mains etc)

it follows then that floorstanders aren't really necessary in a HT context because you won't need the capability to reproduce sound as low as a floorstander can go.

because it's harder to make a good floorstander compared to a bookshelf / standmount speaker, you can get some great value bookshelves that sound really good, and get a good subwoofer to do the low end.

I'm partial to Paradigm Atoms myself (wonderful speakers at US$198/pr), but the Infinity Primus 150's are looking like a steal at the price.

6. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Look at av123.com.. Great forum for learning about most anything speaker related there plus they make very nice speakers for your budget.