Help, NewB here - New Sony KDP-57XBR2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adnan_MD, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Adnan_MD

Adnan_MD Auditioning

hey people, this is my first post & i was hoping u guys could help me out![​IMG] i've been looking 2 buy my mom a widscreen rptv for about 6 months & just had not been happy with the pic quality when compared to the Sony Wega flatscreen i already have. i had been looking at the sony KV-57WV600 & KV-65WV600 mostly & recently noticed the sony grand xbr KF-50XBR800 & KF-60XBR800. i walked into a circuit city near my job & by chance stumbled onto an open-box KDP-57XBR2 (a display model) for $3000! [​IMG] i wentback to work, logged on to cnet.com & the sony website & saw that the tv retails for ~$5000. i drove back to c.c. after work, charged the tv & expect delivery tomorrow![​IMG] now, my questions: 1) what do you guys think about this tv? (most of the consumer reviews on it at cnet.com where glowing!) 2) did i get a good price? 3) my room is ~ 16' deep, the tv's not too big, is it? 4) also i'm not the biggest audiophile around, i can't tell the difference b/w the harmann kardon stereo in my car or the stock system, (although i can tell the difference b/w audiovox & harmann kardon[​IMG] ) that said i've heard that the built-in surround sound on the set is decent but i'm thinking about getting the following: Kenwood HTB-205 600W surround sound system, on sale at c.c. for ~$250, what do u guys think? (my emphasis being more on loudness-600W's should be enough!) 5) last, but not least, i purchased a 4-year for around $500, good move or not? thanks for listening to my rambling & for the help! [​IMG]
    also, if you guys could answer this: how does my new tv compare to the Grand Wega XBR? (KF-50XBR800)

2. Adnan_MD

Adnan_MD Auditioning

also, one more question: what video source will i need right away? is it true that i can pick up HDTV broadcasts with rabbit-ears? do i need digital cable or regular? should I get a satellite dish? thanks.

3. Adnan_MD

Adnan_MD Auditioning

anyone?[​IMG]

4. george.Legeza

george.Legeza Stunt Coordinator

I wouldn't feel too bad about not being able to tell the difference between car audio systems. In my experience most factory car stereos (even factory premium) sound similiar with only minor differences. You usually start to hear good car stereos only when they're compromised of aftermarkets speakers and amps. Anyway, I wouldn't trust a cheap home-theater-in-box. I can almost guarantee those 600w are waaaaaay overrated. You'd probably get more loudness and less distortion out of a simple 65w x 5 receiver.

That said, I can't answer your questions about the TV, but I can recommend that you seriously consider purchasing seperate components for your surround system. Even if you can't hear the difference in music you'll certainly notice that movies will sound a lot better and have a lot more "punch".

5. Adnan_MD

Adnan_MD Auditioning

come on fellas, there's gotta be someone else who could offer some insight

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

You're in the wrong section for the main question, Adnan. I'm moving this to Display Devices.
    M.

7. KevinFC

KevinFC Stunt Coordinator

Adnan,

My first HT was that kenwood setup, but I already had some good front spkrs. I recently upgraded to the Kenwood VR-6060. Now I can run all my components through my receiver, which you cant with the 205 receiver. Now for your TV, floor models are always dangerous to buy IMHO. So getting the extended warranty was a good idea. But with how TV's are setup in the store Burn in will be a big problem. Adjust the levels as soon as you get the TV and get the Avia or another type of disc that will help you setup the the TV and since it is a floor model get it ISF calibrated.

Kevin

8. Dan Ponze

Dan Ponze Stunt Coordinator

The XBR although not a new model is still very good picture quality and yes you can pick up all your local HD broadcasts for free using an antenna. I cheap one is the Zenith silver something or other. They have it at Circuit City for about $45. I too agree, go with seperates on the hoem theater setup. That way not only is it better quality but you can upgrade it piece by piece later on.

9. Stuart Kinzel

Stuart Kinzel Auditioning

Hello Everyone,

Thought I'd join in on all the fun on this forum that I've been lurking about for awhile. I don't know if it makes any difference Adnan, but the KF-50XBR800 is an LCD while I think the XBR2 is a CRT. I was looking at the LCD's and I thought they looked pretty good. I'm no expert (I probably don't even qualify as a videophile) but the the LCD's interest me since I'll end up watching a fair amount of 4:3 TV and playing video games. Just the thought of burn in scares me when I'm looking at plunking down a couple thousand dollars and I know that any hint of burn in would drive me crazy. I didn't do a lot of side by side between the CRT and LCD Sony sets, but watched the LCD for as long as the Sales Rep would let me with both HD and SD signals and thought the HD looked impressive and the SD was acceptable for what our viewing position will be. Hopefully this year is the year I finally get to pull the trigger on the new television.