HELP! New Wega video game calibration issue!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Nixon, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Adam Nixon

Adam Nixon Second Unit

Picked up a new Sony Wega 32HS500 last week, everthing looks fine EXCEPT for when I attempt to attach a PS2 or Gamecube to it. When using either composite or S-video connections, the picture seems to lean slightly to the right, and there is an ultra slim black line on the entire left side of the TV -- it's like the picture just needs to be pushed over to the left less than 1/8th of an inch. It's barely noticable, but it's enough to tick me off. There is NO problem at all when watching DVDs or television. Is there a way to enter the service menu and "shift" the image to the left? Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Adam,
    I would not suggest the service menu unless everything on your tv leans to the right.

3. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Just an FYI, my Wega seems to be fine with my PS2 and Gamecube. My geometry (all the time, which appears to be a problem with flat screens) seems to be a little off but not enough to have it calibrated etc.

4. Adam Nixon

Adam Nixon Second Unit

The strange thing is that it doesn't appear to be a geometry issue as there's very little distortion. It just seems like the picture needs to be scooted just slightly to the left. This was also a problem on the last set I had (also a Sony), so maybe it is a cable issue. Both units are directly connected, and the PS2 is using a Sony S-video cable that I originally bought for the PS1. Either way, it's frustrating and I probably need a professional calibration. Unfortunately, there isn't an ISF tech within several hundred miles of where I live, so I was trying to find a quick fix.

5. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

This happens with a lot of consoles on various TVs. My PSX does it on the TV in my room. It's no big deal. Some games will allow you to move the image left and right and that can fix the problem, but otherwise you shouldn't worry about it.

6. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

7. Adam Nixon

Adam Nixon Second Unit

I've got the Nintendo component cable on order, so hopefully there will be some improvement on that as the TV is a progressive scan device. I'm going to try other video jacks (there's a total of 7 on the TV) tonight, and see if there is a better option. There doesn't appear to be be anything wrong with the display, which makes this all the more infuriating. Perhaps there are setup options in the Cube and PS2 that I haven't taken advantage of yet. Unfortunately, I still think the only "perfect" solution is a professional calibration, which is not an option where I live.

8. MitchellC

MitchellC Extra

You can adjust the horizontal positioning of the NGC's picture by starting the console up without a game, going to options, and then screen position. See if this helps anything.

9. Adam Nixon

Adam Nixon Second Unit

Thanks, Mitchell, I'll give it a shot when I get home. As for the set, I've determined it needs a professional calibration. I haven't been able to locate a copy of Avia yet, but I used THX optimode as a temporary fix last night. On the screen with the circle inside of two rectangles, the outer rectangle is almost completely obscured on the right side by nearly a quarter of an inch. As it stands, I don't know if I can find anyone within a few hundred miles who is qualified to work on it -- so I'm basically faced with entering the service menu and shifting it horizontally to center the image. Anybody know a good isf tech in either the OKC or DFW area? Any other suggestions?