Help!! New TV with only 1 S-video jack! Can i hook up multiple components??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Stephens, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Scott Stephens

Scott Stephens Stunt Coordinator

Hi. I just got a new TV that has 1 S-video jack. I also have a DVD player that I would prefer to hook up via the S-video route, as well as a DirecTV receiver.

On my old TV, I had the satellite hooked through the VCR and then into the TV via the 75 ohm coaxial terminal. However, I have found (as I'm sure most of you know) that the signal from the satellite is much better when run through the RCA video connections.

Here's the problem: whenever I have anything plugged into the S-video jack, the TV ignores all other signals (I've heard this is a common problem with some TVs). So, if I have my DVD player hooked up through S-video, my satellite will only be routed through the coax, even if it's plugged into the RCA video in jacks.

I purchased a Denon 3802 receiver but haven't received it yet. I know the receiver has S-video connections, etc. but I know nothing about video switching capability (just the term!) Is there a way to integrate all these components (satellite, DVD, VCR) together via the receiver so that I can bypass this annoying function of my TV?

Also, is there any way to hook up the S-video connections from the satellite AND the DVD player into the receiver first, and then have another S-video cable running into the TV's (one) S-video jack? Will this work? Is there a degradation in image quality?

Sorry if this message is a bit convoluted. I'm trying to make sense of all this mess. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks...

2. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

3. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

You route the S-video Out from you components to the receiver, then hook up the reciever's Monitor Out to your TV's S-video input.

However, seeing as your VCR is probably not S-video (SVHS), you will not be able to use this method, since the receiver is incapable of up-converting the composite video signal to S. To do this, you must buy a composite to S-video converter box from a place like Radio Shack, then route an S-video cable from the converter to the Reciever.

4. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

5. Ashter

Ashter Auditioning

So ChrisAG are you saying that if your video player doesnt have svideo they only way you can get it to work is to use a converter? (that is if all your other devices are using svideo?)

6. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

7. Bob Bartlett

Bob Bartlett Stunt Coordinator

On my 27" Toshiba there is an s-video and a composite, but it defaults to s-video if you hook up both at the same time. That's why I use a composite to s-video converter. Look at partsexpress for one.