What's new

Help!! New TV with only 1 S-video jack! Can i hook up multiple components?? (1 Viewer)

Scott Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
Hi. I just got a new TV that has 1 S-video jack. I also have a DVD player that I would prefer to hook up via the S-video route, as well as a DirecTV receiver.

On my old TV, I had the satellite hooked through the VCR and then into the TV via the 75 ohm coaxial terminal. However, I have found (as I'm sure most of you know) that the signal from the satellite is much better when run through the RCA video connections.

Here's the problem: whenever I have anything plugged into the S-video jack, the TV ignores all other signals (I've heard this is a common problem with some TVs). So, if I have my DVD player hooked up through S-video, my satellite will only be routed through the coax, even if it's plugged into the RCA video in jacks.

I purchased a Denon 3802 receiver but haven't received it yet. I know the receiver has S-video connections, etc. but I know nothing about video switching capability (just the term!) Is there a way to integrate all these components (satellite, DVD, VCR) together via the receiver so that I can bypass this annoying function of my TV?

Also, is there any way to hook up the S-video connections from the satellite AND the DVD player into the receiver first, and then have another S-video cable running into the TV's (one) S-video jack? Will this work? Is there a degradation in image quality?

Sorry if this message is a bit convoluted. I'm trying to make sense of all this mess. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks...

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Scott,

You'll be happy when the 3802 arrives. . .

Yes, run all your sources into the receiver (and a single S-vid cable to your TV from it) and allow the Denon to select the audio/video source.

Have fun,

Mike

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
I didn't see anything in the Denon literature about a comb filter (needed to convert composite to S-video well).
You should not experience any degradation of the S-video sources going through the receiver compared with directly to the TV. But composite sources such as satellite broadcasts may be degraded (or not come out of the receiver's S-video output at all).
If your composite (RCA jack) video sources work OK but don't look too good when switched through the 3802 and onto the S-video cable into the TV, an external composite to S-video converter costing less than USD 100.00 won't improve it. The filter in those things just isn't very good.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Is there a way to integrate all these components (satellite, DVD, VCR) together via the receiver so that I can bypass this annoying function of my TV?
The receiver might not pass both composite and S-video sources through to the TV’s S-video input. So right out of the hole there’s an issue with your VCR, unless it’s Super VHS.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks