Help, New to Home Theater Set-Up

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisMcK, Jan 10, 2003.

1. ChrisMcK

ChrisMcK Stunt Coordinator

Hi All
    I was hoping I could get some suggestions (hopefully many) on home theater set up for a novice. Preferably I would like to buy a "HT in a Box" and have been looking at the Sony and Cambridge Soundworks products. I'm thinking of spending between $500 to $700. I really don't want to go the route of buying all components seperately, but if you do have suggestions on what to look for if I were to do this please feel free to reply. Also, if you could recommens some stores online with good reputations and decent prices that would be great.

Thanks for your help

2. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

I would still consider different pieces together along with the "Home Theaters in a Box" because it simply gives you a greater range of options.
    If you wanted 5.1 audio in a HTIB, you could go with several options, including the Cambridge sets, a Pioneer or Sony HTIB. I would suggest the Onkyo HT-650 HTIB, but in this thread there's a possible problem noted:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=116955
    If you wanted 5.1 separately, maybe you could go with a H/K lower-level reciever and a set of speakers (Cambridge Soundworks offers a basic set)
    If you wanted 6.1 (and 6.1 is more fun), you could do something like pairing the Pioneer 811 reciever with any number of speaker sets and the Onkyo back surround, which is available through their website (shoponkyo.com).

3. ChrisMcK

ChrisMcK Stunt Coordinator

Thanks
    I looked around the forum and didn't see it, is there a place that shows sample set-up of HTs using different components??

4. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

Not that I know of, but if you give a description of the room that you want to set-up in and some questions about set-up, I'm sure that myself or another member of the forum would be glad to help.

In terms of setting up different components versus Home Theaters in a Box, it's really the same thing, as you still have to do the same hook ups on a HTIB that you do if you get different components.

There's also the need for a digital optical cable, which goes directly from the DVD to the back of the reciever.

5. Jim-M

Jim-M Second Unit

I was looking at similar setups a couple of months ago. I ended up with a set of Polk RM6000 speakers ($300) from Crutchfield and an Onkyo receiver. I had originally planned on getting the Sony HT-740 HTIB ($300 I think) and then had a set of Cambridge Soundworks speakers ordered, but ended up cancelling that order. My setup is in a room about 15x15 which is a family room, not a dedicated home theater. For the money and our use, I'm more than satisfied with it. The Polk/Onkyo pair exceeded my expectations. I'm not much of an audiophile, so take that into consideration when using my opinion. The reason I cancelled the Cambridge speaker set I had ordered was mostly due to a delay in shipping on their part which gave me time to have second thoughts about the passive subwoofer that came in that set. Because of some promotions on at the time, I ended up getting more for less at Crutchfield. Both Crutchfield.com and Cambridge (hifi.com) have excellent return policys if you're not satisfied with the product.