What's new

HELP! New System and DVDs look terrible (1 Viewer)

Rick_Ster

Auditioning
Hi - I just finished installing my brand new 7.1 system and when I put on the Matrix, the picture looked really grainy. I tried switching the DVD player to interlaced mode and it looked really bad - not suitable for watching.
So - here's what I got - a Mitsubishi ws-65711 HDTV (platinum plus), an Onkyo DV-CP500 progressive scan DVD, and a Denon 3802 AV Receiver. All hooked up with component cables. I'm hooked into the Comp-1 input into the TV and I tried both through the receiver and directly from DVD to TV.
Any suggestions would be appreciated (btw - all components are brand new - never used before, but the TV looks awesome from HDTV signals....and regular looks fine as well.....)

Thanks,

Rick

John Royster

Screenwriter
the matrix is a grainy dvd with a slight green tint to it. Try another title.

Next thing is to disable SVM on your mits and set contrast to about 35% and sharpness about 50% (middle). Also make sure your DVD player is outputting a progressive signal, you can tell by pressing the info button on your remote and the tv will tell you "480p".

-edit- more setup to help you out.
1) set your DVD player to 16x9
2) your TV should be in "standard" format

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Rick,

Have you calibrated the picture settings on your new Mits TV? Most televisions are not calibrated properly when shipped from the factory. Many have the contrast, brightness and sharpness set to excessively high levels.

If you have not calibrated your set, I would suggest buying Avia Guide To Home Theater, which will walk you through the calibration process.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Ditto on Monsters Inc., and it is definetly worth picking up a calibration DVD to get your t.v. to look it's best. Avia or Video Essentials should do it for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks