Help! New speakers or Receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Robert.v, Aug 20, 2003.

1. Robert.v

Robert.v Auditioning

Hello everyone,
    I have a Sony STR-DE875 receiver and Accoustic Reasearch speakers. I can only turn up the receiver to about 34 on the volume before I have to worry about blowing the speakers.I called Definitive Technology & M&K and they said that no matter what speaker's I baught they would all do the same because the receiver does not have true 100watts per channel combined. That when sony says it's 100w per channel it's accually about 30 or 40 watts, I need to get a receiver with true clean power with out a lot of disstortion to be able to get more sound out of my speakers. Is that true? What do you think about Yamaha around $700 to $900 to spend and a Rotel RMB 1066?

Thank you,Rob

2. Michael Yung

Michael Yung Stunt Coordinator

I don't even think you need true 100 watts of clean power to enjoy your speakers. I would even consider H/K receivers in the $700 to $800 price range. It should make a big difference.

3. Joe Ku

Joe Ku Stunt Coordinator

I can tell you from personal experiance that the HK AVR-525 can be turned all the way up and never distort the sound. It will put out the full 70 watts it is rated for with all channels driven. I understand that NAD is even better in this reguard, but more expensive. The AVR-525 can be had for ~$550 referbished from onecall, and it still carries the full 2 year warrenty.

And to answer your question, you need an amp which will deliver clean power before you worry about speakers. The speakers are only as good as the power behind them. You are also much more likely to blow your speakers with a distorting low power amp than with too much clean power.

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

5. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

I upgraded my DE835 (rated at 100wpc) to an H/K 120 (rated at 40wpc). The difference was night and day. The H/K is much more powerful, has a much cleaner sound, and just does everything better. You don't need lots of power, you just need clean power. I wouldn't be surprised if an H/K 125 or 225 was MORE than enough power for you.
    Side note: I have a Yammie M-70 power amp with output (power) levels labeled on it. When jamming out pretty loud at a party I never got over ~60watts rms on my JBL S-38's. Now that I have the HE12's I never get over ~6 watts rms!