What's new

Help new SACD/DVD player no 5.1 surround on sacd (1 Viewer)

Mike_J_Potter

Second Unit
I just got a Pioneer DVD-563A player mainly for its DVD audio and and sacd on the player. I got the 6 channel inputs on the DVD plugged into the 6 channel inputs on my HK AVR125 but I cannot get 5.1 surround, only the front two speakers, I don't even get any anything out of the Sub or I am not even able to change the front speaker settings to small. I played around with the menu and flipped from the multichannel section on the disc I was listening too (Dark side of the moon SACD) and it even says sacd when I load it. Anyone ever run into this is there a setting I am over looking or does the AVR 125 not support this or need a external decoder?

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
There are two settings on the player to get right:

First, make sure the player is set for 5.1, not 2 CH.

Next, there are settings in the player for SACDs. The choice are 2 CH SACD, MC SACD, and Redbook CD (note: I don't own this player, so the verbiage may be off a bit, but do own its big brother, the 45A, which does have such settings).

Obviously, you need to choose MC SACD and 5.1 mode for the player.

Darkside has all three formats, so you may be hearing the 2 CH SACD layer.

Here is a link to a FAQ that was drawn up by a few members. It may be helpful as you delve deeper into hi-rez audio.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...22#post1800722

BGL

Mike_J_Potter

Second Unit
Thanks, I'll have to try that out but unfortunatly I just found out that it won't play DVD+Rs so I am going to return it :frowning: I have a bunch of stuff burned on +R discs and I need to be able to play back both formats, for that or testing them out when I do videos for people. Do they make standalone sacd players just for super audio cds and normal cds? Or should I hold out for a higher end DVD/ DVDA SACD player when I get the cash?

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Well, as for a universal, the Denon 2200 has gotten pretty good press for both audio and video, plus it gets the bass management right, which is a bit of a rarity.

Not sure about a SACD/CD only machine. I suspect even a non-DVD-A machine will still play back DVD-V.

BGL

Mike_J_Potter

Second Unit
Thanks, I did find some SACD/CD only players but they cost more then the Denon 2200, so I guess I'll add that to my already long list of future Home Theater upgrades I will do once I have some extra money. Maybe by then they will have settled on a standard between DVD-A and SACD.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Mike, Sony has some new SACD/CD players coming out soon and if they're like the older ones they made, they'll be simple and easy to operate. Search this forum because threads about them have been posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks