Help! New JVC XV-FA90 DVD player is possessed!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon C. Allen, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Jon C. Allen

Jon C. Allen Extra

Just bought a new JVC XV-FA90BK 7 disc DVD changer. Overall, happy with it, despite a few quirks.

But one that has yet to explain itself: For some strange reason, the XV-FA90 likes to turn itself on at random times for no apparent reason. This isn't due to any stray remote signals or other random users.

I turn off the player (and it goes into standard "standby" mode as every other piece of A/V equipment does), and when I come back hours later (whether it be during the day or the next morning), the player has mysteriously turned itself back on.

Can anyone explain this ghost?

-jca

2. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

Mine did the same thing every time it gets too warm. I was thinking it has a self-destruct tendency, turns on when it gets hot to see if it can burn up?? I got my thermostat setup on my AV closet to keep it under 80 F, and it almost never does it now. Just to make sure I put it on a switched outlet so it doesn't have power when the system is off.

3. Jon C. Allen

Jon C. Allen Extra

Well, I don't think it's a heat issue. The player will often come on at some point overnight, when it would be at it's coolest. (It hasn't been powered on for several hours, along with all the other surrounding equipment.)

Any other ideas?

4. Aaren

Aaren Auditioning

Are any of you guys using the 6 channel audio outputs on this unit? If you, what level of control do you have over the power levels coming out of the these outputs? I believe you should be able to control the levels of the surrounds(center, sub and rears) in relation to the main left and right speakers. But is there also a 'master volume' way of controlling all the channels once you get the relative settings adjusted? I would like to see if I can find a DVD player with built in decoder and 6 channel audio outputs that will act somewhat like a preamp for DVD-Audio as my recv.