********** help needed

Discussion in 'Computers' started by DouglasRobert, May 10, 2006.

1. DouglasRobert

DouglasRobert Second Unit

I'm asking this on behalf of a friend.

"My j a v a script somehow got disabled and I cannot turn it back on. I tried going to Tools > Internet Options > Security > and then Custom Level.. but the button is disabled and I can't click on it. Hardly any webpages are working. I can't even check my mail."

Can you help?

2. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

While he/she is looking for the answer, I'd suggest a visit to http://www.mozilla.com/ to download Firefox. That's probably the easiest way to get back online, with a much less vulnerable browser to boot.

3. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    If the Java options are disabled it is likely that Java was uninstalled inadvertently or that key files have become corrupt. (I've actually seen both things happen in cases where a version of Java was being upgraded and the connection to the server was interrupted or another problem occurred. Either the installation would fail after the old version was uninstalled or the new version failed to install properly.)

If your friend can get to the Sun site there should be a Java download their. Otherwise you should be able to download the installation file and deliver it or send it via snail mail on a CD.

Regards,

Joe

4. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

The problem in this case seems to be "ja va scr ip t" (weird that the very word is disallowed here, somebody got a bit overeager with the security settings?) as opposed to "Jav a".

I spotted a page at Microsoft that details how to reinstall the jav a scrip t engine, among other things. Worth a shot.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;236846

Although, the best fix is to just stop using IE and stick to something else - in my personal opinion, anyway.