1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Help Needed

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Rex.G, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Rex.G

Rex.G Stunt Coordinator

I need help finding a new DVD player. I have a Toshiba 16:9 "HD ready" tv with no digital inputs. I guess I have been out of the market for a new player for to long. I started searching and half of the options they come with now I just don't know what they are. This will be exclusively for movies. So the picture is the most important aspect to me.

Does anyone have any ideas for a DVD play that will provide an excellent picture for a couple hundred bucks max?

Thanks in advance for you help!

2. John S

John S Producer

CRT RPTV? Most people are having the best luck with the Zenith DVB_318 on the cheaper side of things. It allows you to scale your DVD's to 1080i out the analog component video. The setup does not handle true 4:3 content that well though, most have to set the player back to 480p on it's output. May be prudent to just keep an older player hooked up via svideo for this sort of DVD source, and use the Zenith for everything else.

3. Rex.G

Rex.G Stunt Coordinator

Is the Zenith the only model that allows the allows you to scale your DVD's to 1080i through component?

4. Rex.G

Rex.G Stunt Coordinator

Thanks John S!

Well, I was a little reserved about Zenith. Not a brand that comes to mind when I think of quality. But I did a little research, and well I have already ordered it. I can't wait to get it! I was so excited i ponied up for the 2nd day delivery!!

Peter

5. John S

John S Producer

If you encounter non-anamorphic widescreen dvd source, use the vertical zoom on the player, nearly eliminates the non-anamorphic dis-advantage.

Best to get it now, as it does seem the ability to handle HDCP DVD at 1080i out the component video is going away.

6. Rex.G

Rex.G Stunt Coordinator

I really hope that when a true HD-DVD hits the market, there will be a player that will be able to utilize component out for the HD signal. Sadly it seems that it won't. Since I have no interest in HDTV I may never see a High Def. picture on my HD "ready" set. Oh well. Guess a new one is needed before long anyway.

7. John S

John S Producer

Yes, I looked at it this way...

10 years is probably what we can expect our most recent HDTV purchases to last. I'm pretty darn sure the current DVD standard will last at least that long.

8. Rex.G

Rex.G Stunt Coordinator

Even with my current equipment, most anamorphic DVD's (even some non) looks extremely nice on my 3 yr old 40" widesreen. When I buy a house I will have a dedicated theater room w/ HD projector (even have the better half's support on this!!). Untill Then, even if the Zenith does not work out so great, I will not be too disapointed with regular progressive outputs.

9. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Refurbed Denon from eCost. No digital out, but it'll have one of the best 480p pictures.

10. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    The Zenith 318. Most people tend to prefer it over component video anyways, but you'll have the option of going DVI or component, which is nice.