Help needed with Promise ATA PCI card

Discussion in 'Computers' started by John Wilson, Mar 30, 2006.

1. John Wilson

John Wilson Supporting Actor

Hi.
    I am frustrated.[​IMG] I've been trying to get a Promise Ultra 100TX2 PCI card to recognize a 300 GB Seagate drive. When I initially installed the card with the factory BIOS, the Promise POST info only showed the drive as a 127GB drive but it was detected as D0. The Promise card shows up on the Device Manager as a SCSI controller, whatever difference that makes:b

Anyways, I figured that I should update the Promise BIOS to the latest one on the Promise Technologies website. The backup annd the flashing of the BIOS went well and upon reboot, the Promise POST screen now showed my 300GB drive as 279GB! Yeah, I'm out of the woods! NOT!

When the computer fully booted into Windows XP, The system BIOS only sees it as 128GB! WTF! Somehow, the two BIOS systems are not talking to each other and I can't figure out how to get them to play nice[​IMG]

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? The computer's BIOS and Windows properly recognize any drives up to and including a Maxtor 300GB drive connected to either of the Primary or Secondary IDE channels so that is not an issue, at least I hope not!

Thanks for your help. With all of the Computer knowledge available on the forum, I know that someone can get me out of this "world of confusion". [​IMG] [​IMG]

P.S. I also resurrected a thread about dual posting HERE
    that I would love for someone to respond to.:b

2. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

3. John Wilson

Thanks for your response, Rob. [​IMG]

I also think that the BIOS is involved, I'm just not sure its the computer's BIOS thats the culprit. As I stated in my original post, the computer recognizes all sizes of disks that are connected to the MB's IDE channels. Its just the large drives (in this case 2 different 300GB drives) that are connected to the Promise PCI card that are being reported by Windows incorrectly even though the Promise's PCI card BIOS POSTS correctly at startup. [​IMG]

Are there any jumpers on the PCI card or any way to get into the card's BIOS to enable LAB 48?[​IMG]

4. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

How do you see the system BIOS when you've booted into XP? Where are you checking the disk size?

The add-on card looks like a SCSI controller, so Windows doesn't drive it directly. The EnableBigLba stuff in that Microsoft KB article are for the motherboard's ATAPI ports, which are already working for you.

The card's POST is now reporting correct sizes after updating its firmware. Check for updated Windows drivers for the Promise card.

5. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

you know, it's been so long since I've last messed with the promise cards that I'm not rightfully sure.

Google is suggesting that it may be that some of the older promise cards (ultra66) may not support the larger hard drives at all.

But you may also check with the hard drive maker, seems like maxtor has a special "big drive enabler" thing that you need to run to get it working.

6. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

its not a bios issue, its a windows limitation, if its a fresh install you need service pack 2 for it to be seen correctly.

7. John Wilson

Thanks for your response, Rob. [​IMG]

I also think that the BIOS is involved, I'm just not sure its the computer's BIOS thats the culprit. As I stated in my original post, the computer recognizes all sizes of disks that are connected to the MB's IDE channels. Its just the large drives (in this case 2 different 300GB drives) that are connected to the Promise PCI card that are being reported by Windows incorrectly even though the Promise's PCI card BIOS POSTS correctly at startup. [​IMG]

Are there any jumpers on the PCI card or any way to get into the card's BIOS to enable LAB 48?[​IMG]

8. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Why did you repost your first reply to Rob (ignoring Mike and me [​IMG] )?

9. John Wilson

Ken and Mike,
    I didn't mean to ignore your contributions to this thread:b

I responded to Rob first as I wasn't clear as to why the issue might be with the system BIOS rather than with the promise card itself.[​IMG]

I appreciate all of your help with this. Mike had a good point that I will explore soon. I am running SP1 and have been hesitant to download SP2 as the system is running well, except for its unwillingness to play nice with the promise card.[​IMG]

I guess SP2 is now mature enough that updating my system now should pose little threat. I am going to back up the drive just to be safe[​IMG]

10. John Wilson

11. Rommel_L

Rommel_L Second Unit

12. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

A couple of things.

As you're using an add-on PCI controller card, it doesn't matter whether your motherboard's BIOS supports large drives or not. It's the BIOS on the PCI Card that matters. Using an addon card is a great way to use large drives on old motherboards (I've got one in an old ASUS P2B motherboard).

Make sure you've flashed the Promise card's BIOS to the latest version. It looks like you've done that as the drive is now seen at it's correct capacity.

Make sure you are using the Promise drivers for Windows XP. There are downloads for the card here

You also need to be running at least SP1 of Windows XP as this is the earliest XP that supports large drives.

Also, apply the hotfix mentioned at http://support.microsoft.com/?id=303013 particularly this bit "If Atapi.sys is not version 5.1.2600.1135 (or version 5.1.2600.1152 for Windows XP 64-Bit Edition), obtain and install the hotfix that is described in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 331958."

I had a similar problem trying to get an old Abit VP6 to recognise a large drive connected to its HighPoint 370 controller. The HighPoint BIOS saw the drive as 160Gb, but Windows XP kept seeing the drive as 127Gb. Problem was the drivers. The official digitally signed microsoft drivers didn't work, but the Highpoint (non digitally signed!) drivers worked perfectly. It was a bugger to get Windows to use the unsigned drivers as it kept saying the highpoint drivers were not a better match to the current (Microsoft) ones!

Hope that helps a bit.