Help Needed With HT Setup (Newbie)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alex S, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Alex S

Alex S Second Unit

I just purchased a HT (Sony 840) for the 1st time.
    I have some basic questions about setup maybe some of you could help me with.

I have a tv, dvd, cd and vcr that needs to be hooked up to the receiver.

My 1st question is about video hook up.
    Do I need to hook up video from my dvd and vcr to the receiver ?
    The manual is showing audio and video cables going from the receiver to the tv, dvd player and vcr.
    I understand why the audio cables are needed but why the video ?
    I like the way I can change between tc, vcr, dvd and video games right now, all with one button on my tv remote. (video-1, video-2 and video-3).

If I hook up the video cables from my dvd, vcr to the receiver and then fom my receiver to my tv, how will I view my tv, vcr, dvd and video games ?
    I would like to keep the way I can change between components with one button on tv remote if possible.

I am also buying a fiber optic digital cable to connect my dvd to the receiver. Is that the only cable I need for the dvd player (audio and video) ?

I am also buying a digital cable to connect my sub-woofer and upgrading the speaker wire. Any recommendations on either of these ?

Also, how high should I mount the rear speakers ?

Thank you.

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Alex,

No, the video does not have to go through the receiver (but it may help switching between several sources; if you're comfortable with your current video-switching, leave it as it is!). You "need" basically two connections from your DVD-player to anything else: the audio cable (coax or glassfiber) and video. The latter, preferably S-Video or component) goes to your TV or monitor or projector.

If your sub is active (has it's own amplifier), use a "normal" shielded cable for that.

Several solutions for the rear speakers exist, preferred by different people. Most forward position is at the side of the last row in your HT room. In the back corners is very good to. Point them slightly above the heads of the audience and/or perpendicular to the wall they're mounted on - either the sides or the backwall). If your speakers are di-poles, they should be mounted on the sidewalls and radiate in the forward/backward direction. But, as you will understand: this is my opinion. [​IMG]

Also take a look in our primer.

Good luck!

Cees

3. Alex S

Alex S Second Unit

Cees,

I would like to keep all the video from my dvd, vcr, gamecube all going directly to the tv as it is now.

Does this sound right:

Now, my dvd player has a S-video cable going to the tv.
    I am buying a digital fiber optic cable to connect the dvd to the receiver. So when I want to watch a dvd I should put on video-1 on the tv as I do now and also put the receiver on DVD to get the sound out of the 5 speakers and sub, right ? Will the sound still come out of the tv as well ?

The CD player is easy, just hook up the red & white from the CD player to the red & white labeled CD of the receiver.

The vcr I'm thinking of leaving the video and audio connected to the tv because my wife uses it for my 5 year old and I want to keep it simple for her. I don't want her to have to turn on the receiver and change it to vcr every time she puts in a video for my daughter.
    But if I decide to hook up the audio to the receiver, I just hook up the red & white from the vcr to the red & white labeled Video 1 on the receiver.

My gamecube has red, white and yellow wires. If I hook all 3 to the receiver labeled Video 2 then I would need a yellow (video) cable going from the receiver to the tv to display gamecube on the tv, right ? To play gamecube I would turn the receiver to Video 2 but I'm not sure what channel it would display on the tv ? Gamecube would be in surround sound.

The only thing left is the tv, how do I get the regular tv stations to go through the 5 speakers and the sub ?

Here's a picture of the back of the Sony 840:
    [​IMG]

My sub is active, so can I use the cable included or should I upgrade ?

Thank you.

4. Alex S

Alex S Second Unit

[​IMG]

bump

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

6. Alex S

Alex S Second Unit

Ted,

Thanks for responding. I read through the primer but didn't see anything explaing how to just connect the audio and not the video.

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi alex -

i assume this is a stereo tv with two plugs (red/white) for the audio out? if so you'll need one cable that has two rca connectors (red/white) on each end.

tv audio out --> receiver tape-mon in

for the vcr, you'll need another cable with three rca jacks on each end (red/white/yellow). the yellow will carry the video signal.

vcr audio/video out --> receiver video 1 audio/video in

you'll also need one more yellow cable for the mon-out to the tv.

receiver mon-out out --> tv aux video in

hope that helps some...if not, just let us know!

[​IMG]

8. Alex S

Alex S Second Unit

Thanks for the help Ted.

Just 2 more questions:
    Can I leave my cable tv hook-up as is ?
    Right now it's going from my cable box to the vcr to the tv.

I'm assuming I can leave it as is.

Do I need to upgrade the sub-woofer cable or can I use the standard RCA type included ?

It's a 100 watt active sub.

[​IMG]

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

anytime alex!

1. yes, leave your cable hookup the way it is. it should be:

wall --> cable box --> vcr --> tv

that way, if you just feel like watching tv (and not using your receiver) you'll still be able to get picture and sound.

i'm not real familiar with subwoofer cabling and if there are any specific requirements. i don't think so, but i'm not sure. a lot of people just take a 75ohm coax and put rca connectors at the end. you can probably use the existing cable for now.

but, after you're up and running, i do suggest you see if better cabling yields any differences for you.

ps - are you excited yet? [​IMG]

10. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Wow! Ted told you everything already. I've nothing to add.

Well, just this (sidenote): no need on this forum to bump your thread - especially not within one day. Don't forget that your bumping puts everyone above you one position down.

Cees

11. Alex S

Alex S Second Unit

Ted and Cees thanks for all your help.
    I hooked it up over the weekend and it sounds great !

12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

rockin alex! congrats and enjoy!

ps - don't forget to calibrate...but that's a different thread! [​IMG]

13. Mark_Be

Mark_Be Extra

Hey Alex...
    I have the same system so I'm wondering what placement you ended up with for your L/R surround speakers. I ended up placing mine low (mainly because I don't have speaker stands yet) and in back of the listening position with them angled in to intersect in front of the listener. Sounds pretty good like this but I wondered what you tried or ended up with.
    Good luck and enjoy...I know I'm enjoying it.
    Mark

14. Alex S

Alex S Second Unit

Mark,

I positioned them the same as you did only I put mine higher. I didn't want to put them too low because I have a 5 year old and a lot of small nieces and nephews running around.
    I bought small speaker brackets from CC for $29.99 each.
    They are black and barely noticable.

Mine sounds great too !
    I was very impressed with Star Wars AOTC.

[​IMG]

15. Mark_Be

Mark_Be Extra

Thanks for the reply Alex...I'll be looking for the speaker stands. I agree...Star Wars AOTC was one of the first DVDs I watched with my new set up and it really brought a smile to my face with some of the sound effects.
    Mark