What's new

Help needed with Dish 6000 setup for HDTV (1 Viewer)

Eram Syed

Grip
I just got my Dish 6000 + 8VSB and hooked up to my TV via component out and dish and switched to HD mode. I tried scanning for analog channels and got 13 in the New York city area.
Then I tried to scan for DTV. I got nothing. I kept trying. I even tried entering individual DTV station numbers but got nothing.
Am I missing some step? The antenna on top of my 35 floor building is the source of the signal and is 10-12 yrs old. I am using regular cable right now not RG6. I live on the 33rd floor.
I also tried pointing the dish 300 at 61.5 but got nothing. I tried at night, I don't know if that makes a difference.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Eram
------------------
Eram
---------------------
TV=Sony 53HS10, DVD=Sony DVP-550D, CD=Sony CDP-C335, DSS=Dish PVR 501, Receiver=Marantz S5000, Speakers=JBL M28, JBL PSW-D110, VCR=Panasonic PV-V4620

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Eram,
Where did you buy the DISH, what package did you get, what are you paying? Etc. etc.
I am buying an HDTV and my head is exploding from all the information overload I am having. I have read about well over two dozen different options and each is so complicated,
furious.gif
eek.gif
confused.gif

Anyway, just trying to find out what real people are doing.
THIS looks good, but it also looks to good to be true. What's the catch?
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Eram Syed

Grip
I was an existing dish customer so I was not eligible for the new sub rebates. I got my dish 6000 + dish 500 + dish 300 for $339 from Sears. I got them to price match an internet price. No 12 month contract requirement thru Sears.
If you are a new sub check out
Link Removed www.amsat.com
The deals will require a 12 mth package but you should pay less than normal.
Also go to the hometheaterspot.com forum bc they have group buys there and you may be able to get a better deal through them.
Also check out www.dishnetwork.com to see their latest promos.
I preferred DishNet to DirecTv bc they have 3 HDTV channels and they offer International programming as well plus more movie channels.
For sports I have heard DirecTV is better.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Eram:
Antenna on building needs to be UHF, not VHF.
With VHF you get analog 2-13.
UHF gives digital 14-68.
Run coax into OTA card and do a digital scan. CBS-56, NBC-28, ABC-45, WOR-38, WPIX-33 and PBS-61 should be available. I didn't mention FOX because they don't do 1080i. If your antenna is not UHF, try locating a $20 silver sensor. Some people in NYC have had success with it.
[Edited last by John Tillman on July 29, 2001 at 02:26 PM]

Timmy

Stunt Coordinator
Antenna on building needs to be UHF, not VHF.
That may be applical for your city.
But 2 of 4 DTV stations in my area are VHF. Its best to check antennaweb.org to see whom is digital broadcasting in your area and whether some may still be operating on VHF.

Eram Syed

Grip
Thanks for the helpful comments. I bought a RS bowtie and get all the channels now. but need to move the antenna around to get different channels. For some reason Fox and CBS require a diff position even though they are coming from the same location (WTC)
I am debating wether to spend another $40 on a Silver sensor to see if I can then pick up all the stations at one position.
------------------
Eram
---------------------
TV=Sony 53HS10, DVD=Sony DVP-550D, CD=Sony CDP-C335, DSS=Dish PVR 501, Receiver=Marantz S5000, Speakers=JBL M28, JBL PSW-D110, VCR=Panasonic PV-V4620

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks