Help needed with Dish 6000 setup for HDTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eram Syed, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Eram Syed

Eram Syed Extra

I just got my Dish 6000 + 8VSB and hooked up to my TV via component out and dish and switched to HD mode. I tried scanning for analog channels and got 13 in the New York city area.
    Then I tried to scan for DTV. I got nothing. I kept trying. I even tried entering individual DTV station numbers but got nothing.
    Am I missing some step? The antenna on top of my 35 floor building is the source of the signal and is 10-12 yrs old. I am using regular cable right now not RG6. I live on the 33rd floor.
    I also tried pointing the dish 300 at 61.5 but got nothing. I tried at night, I don't know if that makes a difference.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you
    Eram
    ------------------
    Eram
    ---------------------
    TV=Sony 53HS10, DVD=Sony DVP-550D, CD=Sony CDP-C335, DSS=Dish PVR 501, Receiver=Marantz S5000, Speakers=JBL M28, JBL PSW-D110, VCR=Panasonic PV-V4620

2. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

Eram,
    Where did you buy the DISH, what package did you get, what are you paying? Etc. etc.
    I am buying an HDTV and my head is exploding from all the information overload I am having. I have read about well over two dozen different options and each is so complicated, [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Anyway, just trying to find out what real people are doing.
    THIS looks good, but it also looks to good to be true. What's the catch?
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

3. Eram Syed

Eram Syed Extra

I was an existing dish customer so I was not eligible for the new sub rebates. I got my dish 6000 + dish 500 + dish 300 for $339 from Sears. I got them to price match an internet price. No 12 month contract requirement thru Sears.
    If you are a new sub check out
    www.dbs-sales.com www.amsat.com
    The deals will require a 12 mth package but you should pay less than normal.
    Also go to the hometheaterspot.com forum bc they have group buys there and you may be able to get a better deal through them.
    Also check out www.dishnetwork.com to see their latest promos.
    I preferred DishNet to DirecTv bc they have 3 HDTV channels and they offer International programming as well plus more movie channels.
    For sports I have heard DirecTV is better.

4. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

Eram:
    Antenna on building needs to be UHF, not VHF.
    With VHF you get analog 2-13.
    UHF gives digital 14-68.
    Run coax into OTA card and do a digital scan. CBS-56, NBC-28, ABC-45, WOR-38, WPIX-33 and PBS-61 should be available. I didn't mention FOX because they don't do 1080i. If your antenna is not UHF, try locating a $20 silver sensor. Some people in NYC have had success with it.
    [Edited last by John Tillman on July 29, 2001 at 02:26 PM]

5. Timmy

Timmy Stunt Coordinator

6. Eram Syed

Eram Syed Extra

Thanks for the helpful comments. I bought a RS bowtie and get all the channels now. but need to move the antenna around to get different channels. For some reason Fox and CBS require a diff position even though they are coming from the same location (WTC)
    I am debating wether to spend another $40 on a Silver sensor to see if I can then pick up all the stations at one position.
    ------------------
    Eram
    ---------------------
    TV=Sony 53HS10, DVD=Sony DVP-550D, CD=Sony CDP-C335, DSS=Dish PVR 501, Receiver=Marantz S5000, Speakers=JBL M28, JBL PSW-D110, VCR=Panasonic PV-V4620