Help needed with Dish 6000 + 8VSB + 300 setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eram Syed, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Eram Syed

Eram Syed Extra

I just got my Dish 6000 + 8VSB and hooked up to my TV via component out and dish and switched to HD mode. I tried scanning for analog channels and got 13 in the New York city area.
    Then I tried to scan for DTV. I got nothing. I kept trying. I even tried entering individual DTV station numbers but got nothing.
    Am I missing some step? The antenna on top of my 35 floor building is the source of the signal and is 10-12 yrs old. I am using regular cable right now not RG6. I live on the 33rd floor.
    I also tried pointing the dish 300 at 61.5 but got nothing. I tried at night, I don't know if that makes a difference.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you
    Eram

2. JoeMA

JoeMA Auditioning

Eram,
    A couple of thoughts on your OTA problem: Most if not all DTV stations are UHF not VHF - could your present antenna be a VHF only antenna??
    Also, if you do have a combo VHF/UHF antenna, perhaps it is not pointed at the UHF digital direction?? You can go to antennawb.com to see where your digital channels are coming from.
    Also, try a Radio Shack double bow tie UHF antenna (About $18. and returnable) to see if that brings in UHF digital channels. Hope that helps.

3. GaryFoster

GaryFoster Auditioning

For what it's worth, I couldn't aim my dish at 61.5 successfully until I bought a cheap signal strength meter. Then I had no problem at all, MUCH easier. I was never successful just using the receiver and a friend watching the TV and yelling back and forth. I didn't need it for the Dish500 initially, but couldn't connect to the 61.5 without it.
    ------------------