What's new

Help needed to buy a reciever (1 Viewer)

RichSpencer

Auditioning
I currently had a Yamaha 870 reciever (old pro logic) that I am outgrowing I would like to get a reciever and pay around $500 or so. It doesn't have to be new as I have had experience with used equipment and "B" stock. What I need help in is getting the best reciever that fits my needs.

I currently have a vcr, Tivo and a dvd player with a conponent output along with a motorola digital cable box and a 32 inch Sony Wega. I would like to have a reciever that had DTS/Dolby Digital. Do I need Pro Logic II? I have a 5 speaker system with two KEF's for the front, a Snell bookshelf for the center, an M&K subwoofer and two built-in Boston Acoustics rear speakers. I am not intending to get a middle rear speaker so I don't need a 6:1 or 7:1 unless, of course, I could get it for the same price. What I am looking for is a reciever that will meet my needs and is well built (don't need the fancy bells and whistles). I have been looking at the used market place but don't know what I really need at this point

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I am thinking used just to get more for my money? Is this a wise way to go?

Rich Spencer

BryanW

Agent
I have the Yamaha RXV800 love it and if you do your shopping you can get a good deal on-line. It has plenty or clean power ;)

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Hi Rich:
I am actually selling a factory refurbished Onkyo ds595 in the original box with a 90-day warranty for $319. See my post over in the for sale group. It retails for $500, and streets for about $400. It is a 5.1 channel receiver, and decodes DD, DTS and PLII. This receiver has gotten very good reviews. I can't say how much impact PLII has, as I have not listened to it yet (haven't opened the box).
To tell you the truth, I have demoed quite a number of receivers in the sub-$500 price range and they tend to sound similar to my ears. IMO, primary differences are in build quality and features. Any sonic differences will be subtle, particularly for HT use. Other receivers to consider in your price range are the Denon 2802 which can be had for a little over $500 street price (but without a warranty), the Kenwood VR-510 ($400 street), VR509 ($310 street), and the Yamaha HRT-5490 and 5460. These are all good name brands in the $300-$500 range, with somewhat differing features.
It is actually easier to find used speakers online than used receivers for some odd reason. Try www.audiogon.com for tons of used audio stuff, but only a few receiver listings. Even on Ebay most of the stuff is new and a bit overpriced IMO. But if you watch Ebay daily, you can eventually find a bargain. Your best bet for used is to look for a discontinued model, e.g. Denon 3801, 2801. Most of the year 2001 models tend not to be available used.
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks