Help needed - Specs on an older, discontinued Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by John_Lee, Sep 5, 2006.

1. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

I am a dedicated user of the NEAR [New England Audio Research] line [2 50-MEs, 20-M center, 2 15-M surrounds], and I have an opportunity to pick up a NEAR Boom-2 sub.
    But I can't find specs on the unit. I know it is passive, but I'm interested in freq response. My 50-MEs go down to 27hz and my interest is in filling out the 20-27hz void more than enhancing mid-bass.
    I recall the Boom-4 having monster #s [with 4 8" drivers], but this is only 2 8" drivers.
    Anyone have literature or plots on this unit?

2. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

Google search shows that this sub has two 8 1/4" ceramic coated aluminum high excursion drivers with a magnetic liquid centering coil (no spider for centering voice coil). Specs show low frequency of 17HZ +/- 1db. It retailed for $1100.00 in 1995.

3. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

John

I understand that you would like to stick with NEAR, however, in my humble opinion, it is unlikely that a sub with two 8 inch drivers is going to give you much below 25 HZ. I don't claim to be a subwoofer expert, but have been involved with subs for more than 10 years.... If your plan is to continue running your main speakers full range, and just want a sub to fill in the sub 20Hz range to about 30Hz, you need to look at other subs.
    First, it would need to be quite capable in the 15-30Hz octave.
    Second, it would need a crossover that cuts off very low, at 30 Hz. I have an SVS sub but the lowest crossover is 40Hz. The Hsu VTF-3MKII tested out at 3db down at 16Hz, and has a 30Hz crossover. $699 plus shipping.

Matching sub brand to speaker brand is generally not considered a very big deal. Please feel free to send me a Private Message if you would like additional information.

4. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

It was about the particular sub being a decent deal, more than brand loyalty.
    And if it's not filling the 20-27 gap, I'm not particularly interested.
    I was just asking in case someone had specs on it to verify.

5. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Got you John.

Please send me a PM, I would like to show you something.