What's new

Help Needed: Pioneer VSX D411 or Sony STR DE485 A/V receiver? (1 Viewer)

JoeScott

Auditioning
I am deciding between a Pioneer VSX D411 and a Sony STR DE485 A/V receiver. These both meet my budget. Can anyone recommend which is a better choice-the Pioneer or the Sony??

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Joe. Welcome to HTF! :)
Just from the specs, the two units are nearly identical. The Pioneer boasts a bit more power and a few more outputs and is a bit heavier which CAN mean it will run cooler. So that one would get my vote.
You need to go to the second-order things to pick one. Things like:
- Which unit has binding posts instead of clips for speaker outputs?
- Which unit comes with a better feeling or a programmable remote?
- Does one unit have test-tones built in?
I'm also going to move this post to a section of the site dedicated to receivers. I hope it will get more focused attention there. Dont worry, they dont bite. :)
Enjoy your stay.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'll give another vote to the 411. I've had the Pioneer 810 and 811 in my main system, and currently have a Pioneer 711 in my bedroom/computer system. Pioneer makes great lower end stuff. I considered the 411 for my bedroom/computer, but i was able to get a really great deal on a 711 based HTIB, so i went with it.

I would stay away from any receiver made my sony that is not in their es line. Their es line is some very solid stuff. Their DE line is pretty pathetic and has a very bad reputation on this board. They use sub-par materials and manufacturing methods and pretty much use the sony name to sell products that under another name would not sell for nearly as much.

This is just my opinion, and i'm sure others will disagree, but that's how opinions work.

Either way, good luck and have fun.

Hope this helps.

Will Orth

Stunt Coordinator
Well I have Sony Es and Non Sony Es and I would not listen to (Stephen Hopkins) Remarks, as I have 2 sony recivers 1 ES and one not, The ES ONE gets real hot the regular one does not but I would not get the budget sony reciver as they tend to skimp on the power supply, Get one that at least has 5-X 100 WATTS. I am real happy with mine but I HATE DIGITAL VOLUME! I am an old school guy I like to turn knobs not fiddle with remotes.. as there is some click noise on turning up the volume but once set it rocks.

My Opionion from the real test!

Will

Lyden

Stunt Coordinator
i'd go with the pioneer for allredy stated resons :) well now that i think of it these days i'd take anything over sony....; back in the day they used to be top notch but i dunno they realized they have a name and started to skimp on their products and support.... i guess thats what happens in a whorld where money is everything :frowning:

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Joe:
At the lower ends of the Sony and Pioneer lines, there is not a large difference in performance or quality, so I think you'd be fine with either of these pieces. If the specs/features are fairly equivalent, I'd probably lean toward the Pioneer. But, again, there is certainly not an order of magnitude of difference between these two receivers.
Granted, Sony's non-ES stuff takes it hits on this board, but this board represents a self-selected segment of the buying/using public. Sony continues to sell truckloads of their non-ES receivers because a large number of consumers are quite satisfied with them. Certainly, that doesn't mean they're fantastic or well-made or the best available at their price point. They are, however, decent and will get the job done, in the price range you're considering.
--AM

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I would check the Radio Shack from what I understand from another post, they are cleaning out the RCA receiver model STAV-3990 for $149.00 From what I can tell from the specs. it is the same as a Pioneer 710 model except the RCA has a different remote control. No Dolby Pro-Logic though. Both receivers sold for around $250 to $300 so for $149 I don't think you could go wrong with this receiver & if you don't like it, RS has a great no hassle return policy.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I picked up a 475 for $150 basically brand new for my bedroom, and I have to say, it was an absolute piece of crap. I sold it within 4 days.

I agree with Angelo.M though, anything in this price range is going to be about the same. Maybe save a bit longer and get something a step or two up.

You didn't mention what your budget is or where you are looking, as recommendations could be made...

Get one that at least has 5-X 100 WATTS
Simply looking for wattage is a VERY deceiving measure of a receiver, Sony being one of the most notable offenders. Manufacturers have no standard way of rating power. LISTENING to a receiver, with some decent speakers, is the best way to find out if it is any good.

That is not a complete knock against Sony. The ES line is quite good.

JoeScott

Auditioning
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and helpful advice!
I will take all of information presented into consideration.
This is a great forum!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks