Help needed. New Toshiba 20AF42 setup text turned black!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by inazuma, Sep 28, 2002.

1. inazuma

inazuma Extra

I just bought a Toshiba 20AF42 yesterday and love it! Picture is superb... However, while watching a DVD today, it turned off and on realy quick (like a spike hit it or something). When it came back up, it seemed normal. No change in picture quality.

However after the DVD, I switched to another video mode, but could not see the normally green text indicating the vid mode (like VIDEO1, VIDEO2, Color Stream, etc.). When I got back to the tv Video mode, I went to the setup screen/menu only to realize that the whole menu was black (black text -- monochrome). So seeing the text on a black background is impossible. It also makes making adjustments (color, tint, etc.) impossible since you can't see what you are doing.

Anyway, picture is fine... so my guess is it's only a problem with the menu system. Anyone know how I can change the menu text back to color? Manual doesn't address it. And navigating the menu, there's no option to change the color.

Do I have to return this?

Thanks a lot guys!

2. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Try unplugging the set for a few minutes and plugging it back in. This will reset the set's microprocessor.

If that doesn't help, then something is wrong with the character/menu generator in the set.

KJP

3. inazuma

inazuma Extra

Well, I unplugged it from the wall for an hour or so... Plugged it back in and turned it on only to see that the text is still black. So I take it the character generator is messed up.

Should I return this to BestBuy and have it exchanged or is there a way to fix it (via service menu or something)?

Thanks.