What's new

Help needed, My Sony 777ES remote died. (1 Viewer)

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
My remote control for for my 777ES reciever stopped working. Before it completely failed It would automatically mute the volume everytime it was pointed at the reciever. It appeared as though the mute button was sticking. Today however it finally stopped working all together.

My question is...Is the remote covered under the 5 year warranty? Anyone else experienced this problem?

As always any advice would be appreciated.

Greg

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Greg,

I checked the manual as I am sure you did and there in no information. I have this number for Sony Tech Support.

1-800-222-7669

I've used the number once a long time ago. Also, you might want to call the dealer where you bought the 777ES. They would probably know the answer.

Let us know what the answer is please. That remote makes a great paper weight!!

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Greg,

Out of curiosity I called Tweeter about your problem and maybe mine in the future. As you know, the warranty on the receiver is 5 years.

The Remote:

1 (One) year parts and labor.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Thanks for the responses,

Chat I was under the impression that the remote was also under a 5 year warranty. My plans were to turn the remote and reciever into a local dealer and have the remote repaired. This may not be an option now.

Thanks for the Sony tech support number I'll give them a call. I hope I get this resolved, I found the RM-TP503 on the internet for $429.00. There is no way I am paying that much for a replacement.

I'll post more once I get some answers,

Greg

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Greg,

You might want to double check with your dealer, but I think the story will be the same on the warranty remote.

I know my Anthem AVM-20 has a the same policy. 5 years on the main component and 1 year on the remote.

Here is a cool site on the STR-DA777ES. You may have visited there before.

Link Removed

The link that Bob gave you above is the same individual who runs/ran the above noted site.

I know that Crutchfield is selling a remote, cable and upgrade disc for software version v 2.02. The remote is not as advanced as the paper weight that came with the stock receiver, but for daily functions, it supposedly works fine. You can always use the front panel settings on the receiver to make major adjustments.

That part number for the remote, cable and disc is:

Sony VUCD-777A
Software upgrade kit for STR-DA777ES
Price is $129.99

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...0&I=156VUCD777

Much Luck,
Charles

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Chat,

I just took my remote apart and discovered that the mute button wasn't making full contact with the circuit board. I took everything apart and put the remote back together again and now its working flawlessly. Luckily it was an easy fix. Thanks for all your help. BTW that website you linked is very usefull I go there often.

Greg

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Hey Greg,

A happy ending without spending extra dollars!! Wonderful.

Glad this worked out this way!!

Charles

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Actually Charles the remote just started malfunctioning again. Oh well.

I just found the TP504 on ebay and placed a bid. Hopefully I can get it for less than it woold cost to repair my current remote. I am going to call around this afternoon to see what it would cost to repair it.

Greg

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Greg,

Shoot on the current remote. :thumbsdown:

That is a nice price on that remote considering the price of a new one. When I first bought the receiver I went to Sony's web site and saw the price on that remote I almost fainted. They are nuts to expect someone to pay that kind of coin.

Hope that bid stays lowwwwwwwww.

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks