Help needed identifying this hawk

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Kevin_W, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Kevin_W

Kevin_W Second Unit

...at least I think hawk... red tailed hawk perhaps?

Imagine your surprise when your 7 year old daughter yells out, "Daddy there's a huge eagle in the tree!" As I take a look out the window, my jaw about hit the floor. Down the stairs I fly and grab my digital camera. Slowly opening the front door I step outside. He is in my "umbrella" tree about 30ft from me. Snap goes one picture, beep comes next. The friggin flash card is full on the camera. I slink back in the house and race for my other card cursing under my breathe the whole time. Plopping in the new card back to the front door I head where I proceed to have deja-vue trying to get out the door. I proceed to get two more shots before he decided he had enough of me and took to the air. I snapped one more of him as he hit the air and while not the best in-flight position I wish he had, I'll take it. Not your every day suburben photo-op.

Kevin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Looks a lot like the one I saw last year. Scott Merryfield posted a similar photo in his thread here

I'm gonna go along with Cooper's Hawk

3. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

what a great shot. I have some hawks, which are usually only seen floating on the thermals here (i have always thought redtail) in my area. Am near a residential lake and one railroad track through the area which combined with a large run of the big elec. towers 1/2 mile away, gives them some nesting hunting in more open fields. These are very urban aclimated hawks.

Twice (over many years)I have stepped out in the backyard just as one divebombed in hunting, which is very rare, these are large and will not normally come down amongst backyard obstructions but stick to more open swaths.

The last time I had just opened my back door and was starting to step out, the bird fleeing was just running into the house wall next to me. (hit it and slid down) The hawk was a foot behind it. I got a vague blurry look at it putting on airbrakes right in front of my face. So fast I could not really see the hawk itself in the midst of all the motion, then it was gone.

It almost broke its own neck against my house.
    Really very good pic you got.

4. DaveNel

DaveNel Second Unit

Hello go to yahoo.com or a search engine that has an image search, Type in Hawk, Search through the Hawk pics to find the one you are referring to and you may get the info you need [​IMG]

5. DaveNel

DaveNel Second Unit

You see the Doves in the tree behind the hawk, I was wondering if that mebbe was going to be his dinner
    and plans was messed up for his menu [​IMG]

6. clayton b

clayton b Stunt Coordinator

I own a parrot, and post at a bird forum. I'll link to this thread over there and get back to you, someone there will know what it is.

edit: beautiful picture of a beautiful bird. Birds of prey are amazing.

7. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I'm voting for a red-tailed hawk. I've seen gobs of them here in Wisconsin the past few years.

I had one land on my deck once to disembowel a mourning dove. I was frozen looking through the patio doors. I tried to slide out of sight to get my camera, but he got spooked. [​IMG]

What kind of camera do you have, Kevin? That pic of it flying away is great!

8. Kevin_W

Kevin_W Second Unit

Hey guys... after taking Daves advice, I googled for some pics and Red Tailed seemed to be the closest match... and from what I saw, my visitor has some of the cleanest and most well defined markings.

I am wondering if in fact its the morning doves that are attracting him... we have them everywhere.

I used a Nikon D70 for the photos... and a little help from Photoshop to hide my haste in the matter. [​IMG]

Kevin

9. clayton b

clayton b Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, red-tailed hawk is the consensus that I came back with as well.

10. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Unrelated, but my father hit a hawk with his car once. It was diving for a mouse and found his windshield instead.

11. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Yup that's a redtail.

12. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Great photos, Kevin! The bird does look different than the one in my old thread that Jim linked to in post #2. The consensus on the bird I photographed was that it was a Cooper's Hawk. Yours does look more like a redtail.

13. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

nice pics especially the one of it in flight. I'd say thats a redtail for sure... they are very common around here (Eastern Kansas) in winter.

14. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

I always assumed the occasional piles of feathers I'd find in the yard were the result of prowling cats. Then I saw a big hawk in a small tree across the street a couple of weeks ago. I'm thinking now he might be the culprit.

This is a townhouse development amid many more townhouse developments, but right on the edge of a state park.