Help needed........How do I calculate in-room response for my new PB10-NSD?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Kevin Alexander, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

I'm trying to optimize my new PB10-NSD for my 25X11X8 (2200 cubic ft.) room. I have Avia and a RS SPL meter and used them to calibrate the sub. However, I need to find out what is happening in my room so as to decide whether I need to upgrade to the PB12-NSD. Is there some type of idiot's thread or link that someone can point me to that provides detailes instructions on how to get basic readings for my room? I downloaded the Excel Room Calculator, and I have a SPL meter, but I am completely lost from there. Do I need anything else? I did a search, but I realized that I don't even know what I am searching for..."How to use room calculator?"?????? Anyway, any help I can get would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Kevin

Can I ask what you are hearing that is raising a question? Is there something lacking? Can you not get enough volume from the PB-10? People will be better able to assist you if the know what is troubling you [​IMG]

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The basic factors in the room aren't going to change, so going up to a PB-12 is going to basically just net you a little more air movement. I owned the PB-10 and heard the PB-12 in a similarly sized room and they are fairly close in sound, with a bit more rumble from the PB-12. The room response, if you place the subs in the same location and don't change anything else in the room, should be relatively similar. If you have response issues, maybe it is a BFD that you want instead.

This would be a good place to look: http://bfdguide.ws/

4. Kevin Alexander

Thanks Arthur and John for the reply. Basically, I want to know if I have nulls or feedback issues that can be addressed w/ a BFD or room treatments. I've never had really good bass before, so I don't know if what I'm hearing is what I should be hearing, or whether there are improvements that can be made.

5. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

Perhaps you're trying to fix something that really isn't broken? Have you tried placing the sub in different locations in the room to see if there's a great deal of variation?

Mort

6. Kevin Alexander

Yep. Did that. After experimentation in 4 possible locations, including different angles, I feel it's in the best place right now for SPLs and flat response on the meter. I guess that, in my mind, the PB12NSD would give me that added punch. The more I think about it, I keep wondering "what if" I had the PB12-NSD. I may have to just order it and do a side by side w/ the PB10 to see which one to keep. That may be the only way I can "rest in peace" and be satisfied long term. Suggestions?...Am I underestimating the PB10?...Will the PB12 provide a substantial increase in authority for the extra $170.00 or so?

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    PB-12 will not give you any additional punch, though it does move more air - more rumble and tactile presence.

Right after I bought my PB-10, a guy came to listen to it to see if he would be satisfied with downgrading to the PB-10. His room was a bit larger than mine and he ended up keeping the PB-12 and using a BFD with it.

8. Mitch G

Mitch G Agent

Have you looked at using RoomEQWizard?
    It'll do sweeps and generate graphs.
    You'll need a sound card and a couple of cables.

Mitch

9. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi all,

Just remember, there is a big difference between the old PB12isd and the new PB12nsd(it is a completely new design---new amp, new enclosure, new driver). The new PB12nsd is about 20-25% larger, but it increases internal enclosure volume by 50%(thanks to the elimination of the base).

Tom V.
    SVS

10. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I'll second the suggestion of Room EQ Wizard. It's a great little free program. And if you end up needing a BFD the software will help you setup the BFD.