Help needed for Subwoofer choice

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Kevin*H, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Kevin*H

Kevin*H Stunt Coordinator

I want a subwoofer for a 23'x11' room that has an 8' ceiling an open door halfway down one sidewall and the last third of the room joins a kitchen area.
    I have 3 subwoofers in mind:
    (mainly for home theater use)

BIC Acoustech H-100 (as I might get Acoustech center and
    fronts in the near future)

Yamaha YST-SW1500 as I think it would fit the bill

Yamaha YST-SW325 as I suspect the 1500 might be excessive

Thanks in advance

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I have the H-100, but I haven't heard the other two you mention. I've been extremely pleased with the H-100. I will say that I'm a little skeptical that the 8" driver in the SW325 can actually dig to 25Hz as their specs suggest.

If it were between the 325 and the H-100 I think I would go with the H-100 just to get the larger (12") driver. You've got a pretty good sized room there, so the larger driver could be beneficial. Now, the SW1500 seems to get you into an entirely different price range where SVS begins to be your competition, so that might be something else to consider.

3. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

you will probably hear this again and again but there are several very good subs under $500. Both HSU and SVS (both brands are very highly regarded on this board)have offerings in that price range. That is a big room there. I seriously doubt you will over do it while staying in that price range. I personally am saving for an HSU.