What's new

Help needed for choosing a receiver to connect to my computer.... (1 Viewer)

MichaelZ

Grip
ok, first I should say what i'm gonna be using my receiver for. I just bought a new computer and i need a sound system for it. I'm basically gonna turn my computer into a mini-home theatre.

The receiver will be hooked up to the following:

computer - for gaming, sound editing (I'll have a set of turntables also hooked up to the computer for that), and dvd playback...my computer has a coaxial digital output

tv - for basic tv viewing, no digital audio. (basic cable and VHS tapes)

xbox & ps2 - games with optical connection

for speakers i'm not gonna be using satellite speakers, i'm gonna be using full size ones. right now I have 2 cerwin vega E-712 floor speakers that pull approx 300 watts each at 8ohms. I'm probably gonna get a JBL centre channel speaker and I Have no idea yet what i'm gonna use for the rears....any suggestions for those too?

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

here are a couple of options you may not have looked at. First, a tv-tuner card that plugs into your computer (PCI or USB). ATI makes the most popular, with its TV Wonder SE being the lowest price entry point I've found (around $50 US). Haupauge also makes a nice card that has stereo tv sound plus an FM tuner(ca $85).

Combine this with a Creative Labs Audigy2 sound card, and you've obviated the need for a receiver. With THX Certification, the sound produced by this card is as good as most mid to high priced receivers. The advantage here is savings; one of the big disadvantages is no DTS (although it does decode DD-EX.)

A Rotel, NAD, or Bryston power amp will give you the power you need for your speakers, and help bring out the sound quality (surprisingly) built into this card. I have heard this setup with a Bryston amp (I don't remember which model). It produced impressively clean, well-placed sound.

This is a very different approach from that which most of us have taken; but it keeps control in your computer, where along with an X-10 Controller (one of the ones that plugs into your PC), your mouse and keyboard can do marvelous things.

Marty

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks