Help needed for a potential X-box newbie!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Dave Mack, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Hey y'all. I've had a Gamecube for a couple of years but have been disappointed in the fact that many of the newer games I want to play are not available for it. Anyways, I think I'm getting a good used x-box but want to hook it up to my PJ to see games in HD. What is the best cable to get? The old GC had 2 ports so I just had to get a component cable with no audio which was perfect as my PJ and my amp are in opposite sides of the room and I can't simply get an all-in-one HD cable as then I'd need extenders, adaptors yada, yada.

What would be the best cable to get? And what is the AV port situation like on the x-box. Thanks! D

2. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Anyone?

3. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

The Xbox only comes with a standard composite AV cable, so you'll need to pick up the HD kit, which comes with a breakout box with component and optical ports. I'm using the standard microsoft one (which has worked fine for the past 4 years), but you can also get a bunch of third party ones. If you really want to splurge, I've heard good things about the Monster version.

Enjoy the Xbox!

4. Nathan A

Nathan A Second Unit

The official MS HD kit comes in two flavors- the older one and the newer one (altho the newer one may be the only one in stores now; maybe you could find the older one online or at a used shop). The difference is that with the older one you could plug any component cable into it (tho it did come with a component cable that you could use), while with the newer one the component cable is a part of the HD kit. So if you got the newer one and needed a longer length to reach the PJ, you'd need another cable along with a coupler. Or if you can find the older version, you can use any component cable you want. I'm not sure what any of the 3rd party cables are like.

As for audio, both MS HD kits have an optical out. I'm pretty sure you need to buy an optical cable separately.

5. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Thanks guys! I do have a really good ISF rated component cable already going into my PJ so I wouldn't want to use crummy ones. I guess HD pack one is my best bet!

Thanx! Should be getting the Xbox tom'w.

[​IMG] d

6. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Hey again, guys. Doing some more research I see that some of the earlier Xboxes had a problematic thomson drive. Is there anything I should look for when buying used? Manufacturing date? It's supposedly "like new".

Thanx! d

7. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I'd just try it, and if it works, buy it. What you tend to hear on the internet is the small percentage of people who had problems with their xbox, as opposed to the large majority who didn't.

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

On the cable issue ...

I hate shilling for Monster, but the $20 advanced AV pack that gives you HD is basically crap. The coax is thin, un-shielded, the breakout box has bargin-basement RCA jacks, ... etc. In short, I dont believe it is capable of really producing clean 480i signals, let alone progressive or 720.

I went with Monster. Both for the SVideo cable on my standard televisions and the HD cable for my HDTV.

As much as I feel Monster is over-hyped, they do produce good products. I have not found any other make of HD cable for the XBox that comes close.

The sad part is the cable is about $49, then you need to spend another $39 for the optical cable. I believe used XBox's can be had for about $125 - so this is a huge percentage for just the cable.

Hit eBay or Craigslist to see if you can pick up a Monster cable used (This is what I did).

9. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Thanks Bob! I hear ya... I also have a rather expensive Monster component, beyond the M3, like the M1000 which is ISF certified and was over a $100 so I know what you're saying. Yeah they are pricey but they can make good stuff. Since I will be playing on a 92" screen with my HD DLP, it's worth it to get the good cables, I guess. So I need the Monster HD and their specific optical...? I read some reviews at amazon where people had problems with it but I think they hooked it up wrong for the DD.

[​IMG]

10. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The Monster cable has a little jack that looks like a headphone jack as it come out of the XBox. They have a special optical cable that plugs into this so you send audio to the reciever and video to your television.