Help! Need to turn Switched outlet to 12-volt trigger.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Orlando, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Orlando

Orlando Stunt Coordinator

2. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

3. Joe L.

Joe L. Stunt Coordinator

Rummage through your junk drawers and find a 6 to 9 volt DC wall wart and plug it into your switched outlet on your receiver. If you don't have a wall-wart of the right voltage, a quick trip to Radio Shack will let you buy one.

If you measure it without a load I'll bet the voltage from the wall-wart will be very close to the 12 volts you need for your trigger.

If by chance you happen to find a wall-wart that regulates its output, or if whatever you are triggering draws a bit of current the wall-wart will probably supply exactly the voltage it is rated for, but unregulated wall-wart supplies (most of them) will output quite a lot more voltage when unloaded than when under load, that is why I did not suggest a 12 volt wall-wart.

MAKE SURE the wall-wart is for DC and not AC and make sure to connect it with the correct polarity to whatever you are controlling.

Joe L.

4. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Or, the alternative might be, to provide a small "ghost load" for the 12v wall-wart. Doesn't need to be much; a 12v "grain of wheat" lamp or a dash-lamp from an automotive supply store, or something like that.

As a side note, there are two common sorts of "receiver" for the 12v trigger. The relay (has a "click" when triggered,) has its own load, so a 12v current doesn't need to be loaded by you. If it is a 'presence' detect (solid state, like a printer's "paper out") if it's made in any sort of reliable fashion, it'll trigger safely anywhere from about 9v to 16v; maybe higher.

Do be careful, though, and just because I'm describing the ones I've worked with, doesn't mean that yours will (a) work that way, or (b) have the same safety tolerances.

Leo

5. Orlando

Orlando Stunt Coordinator