What's new

Help -Need to get rid of overscan on my TV! (1 Viewer)

Calvin_Su

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Sharp 32 inch TV, model 32N-S350 manufactured in October 2000.

Anyone know how to change the overscan on this thing? I've went through the menus and I couldn't find anything about overscan.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
the TV will have width and height controls. Ive never worked on this set so I cant be of further help.

Best of luck

Gregg

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
The width and height would be controlled through the service menu. It's basically a 'secret' manufacturers and technician menu with many, many more controls. There are some settings that can potentially damage the set or screw up the picture if you change the wrong things.
If you're comfortable around electronics and whatnot, I wouldn't hesitate to pop into the service menu and change the height and width. I would recommend buying something like Video Essentials so you can have a test pattern displayed that will tell you what percentage of the screen you're showing, and so that you're able to make it the aspect ratio stay correct (i.e., you won't want to cut off 2.5% on the sides and 10% on the tops, because circles will then look like ovals!)
You do NOT want to completely eliminate overscan. 2.5-5% on each side is optimal. If you pay attention in the theater, they effectively have overscan too. It's even more important on TVs since the edges of the CRT almost never have correct geometry, and information like CC is recorded in actual scanlines and will look line interference on the very edge of the picture.
I am not sure how to get into the Sharp service menu. www.hometheaterspot.com has brand specific forums that might be more help.
Remember to be careful in the service menu, but don't be too scared of it. As long as you're careful to only changes the necessary parameters, and write down all the original values, you'll be fine. And you were all ready to buy a new set anyway, so worst case scenario... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks