Help, Need the Best Speaker for music under $500.00 pair

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Tim_, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Tim_

Tim_ Stunt Coordinator

I been shopping around for a pair of 2 channel music speaker that would give me what I'm looking for from my 30 year old JBL. I needed something elegant looking, rich/warm mid for vocal and crystal clear high for Piano and a punchy bass for listening to R&Bs. What are my choices? Thanks. My receiver is arriving this week a Yamaha RXV660 but I still don't have a speaker yet. So far the only 3 speaker I listen to that I kind of like are in $800 range. Monitor audio radius 270, Mortin Logan Montage, Definitive technology BP7004.

2. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

The PSB Image B25 might be worth looking at. The measurements don't indicate much punch though. Paradigm seems to almost always use an underdamped alignment, so the Monitor 3 v.4 at $480 may give you the punch you want.

Hope that helps somewhat.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'm using these guys in my bedroom and I've been pretty happy with them. Decent bass (would recommend a sub if you want a lot of bass), great for jazz and vocals, but equally at home with rock and techno. Extremely clear, and they are on sale too at www.ac4l.com with the coupon code: APRIL20, and will also be eligible for free UPS ground. The cherry looks better than the black, IMO.

There are also these:

Axiom M22Ti.

The Ascend CBM-170, or the CMT-340 (which are $550).

The NHT SB2

4. Leigh_M

Leigh_M Stunt Coordinator

I would take a look at the Energy C-3. Very nice and currently at 50% of at Goodguys ($250). My wife is a music teacher and just picked up a pair of these for her music room.

5. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

Give the Paradigm Studio 20's a listen.

6. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

oops

7. Tim_

Tim_ Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the advise here. I wend down to a not so local PSB authorized dealer 85 miles away from me for a good listen and ended up spending way more money that I intended to but I got my self a pair of MB Quart QLS-830 which is something I really really wanted. After hearing NHT, PSB, Waferdale and MB Quart back and force in the show room. It just so obvious to my ear that MB Quart QLS-830 is way superior then every single one of them I had heard for the pass 3 weeks of speaker shopping. So, I let my heart does that shopping instead of my brain.