What's new

Help! Need some receiver advice. (1 Viewer)

Don Key

Auditioning
I currently have a 10yr old Denon AVR 1000
70wx3 (three front)
20wx2 (rear two)
Dolby Pro Logic (no Dolby Digital, DTS, or MPEG decoders)
No S-Vid or Digital connections.

I am thinking about upgrading my receiver. I was looking at an NAD 752. However, I have been reading about how good seperates sound and was wondering if I might be able to go to seperates and use my as an amp? I know I will need another amp, since 70x3 is not enough, but I was wondering if it would still be a good idea? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm a relative newb.

Boston Acoustic T830 (fronts)
Boston Acoustic VR12 (center)
Boston Acoustic CR65 (surround)
SVC or HSU in near future (sub)

Gink

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Man, someone who is still using pro-logic.... aren't you in for some fun... of shopping for an upgrade and viewing all that material that you haven't heard in DD/DTS....
There are all types of receivers or separates out there for you to choose from that are gonna do you a good job. If you intend to use a separate amp with a receiver, then make sure you select one with preouts.
On separates, typically they are a notch above most lower to midline receivers but more expensive also. I do feel that most of the higher end receivers are just a good. That being said, I've been into HT for about 12 years and still run a reciever although I have added an external amp for that extra umph to my mains for two channel operation.

Get on out there amongst 'em and shop til you drop. There are a world of options but don't let it confuse you. Read all you can so you are well informed so no salesman can shoot something by you and you end up with something you don't really want.

Persons here on HT are genuinely interested in helping you get what you need or want. And you'll have a lot of fun doing it. Good luck.

Don Key

Auditioning
So far I have listened to the following:

NAD 752/762
Harmon/Kardon AVR 525
To say that these were impressive would be an understatement. Wow. Nice clean sound. I think the AVR 525 might be a little underpowered for my room however (19x21x12), so I am leaning toward the NAD 752. Since the NAD is only 5 channel, I was wondering if it would be possible to use my old Denon for the other two channels, or if I should just forget about it and get a small two channel amp if I want to upgrade later?

Thanks

Don

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I was wondering if it would be possible to use my old Denon for the other two channels, or if I should just forget about it and get a small two channel amp if I want to upgrade later?
Not knowing too much about the NAD receiver, I'm assuming it has a 12v trigger. If that's the case, I'd look for a separate 2-channel amp. Sure, your Denon would work for now, but it would be good to take advantage of the "trigger" option to power the amp on as opposed to turning on multiple pieces of gear each time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks