What's new

HELP! Need program to format MS Word doc into HTML (1 Viewer)

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
I have a HUGE Microsoft Word Document that I'm going to post on the forum. (It's the 2007 Film & Television Necrology [Obituaries]).

Much of the text in the ms word doc is either in bold, in italics, or in both. I would love to find a way to automatically format the text so that when I paste it into the post, it is formatted for HTML like this:

(b)bold(/b) and (i)italics(/i). (used () instead of [] so you could see what I mean.)

If I can find a way to do this, it would save me hours, yes hours, of posting.

I tried the feature in MS Word "Save as a web page" but this didn't seem to work.

Is there something in MS Word that will do this for me, or does anyone know of a third party program that will?

Thanks in advance!

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Not sure if I understand but sounds like you want to post something in a VBB forum (like the HTF). HTML or webpage uses < > not [ ] and [/ ] so when you save the file in MS Word as a webpage, you'll get the fonts with the tags and not [] tags of vBB.

I doubt this is feasible but if you can save the file as an .HTM file and then open it up as a raw text file, you can see if you can global find and replace the s with []s and [/ ]s However, you'll probably find a lot of other HTML crap that you don't need that MSWord will put in there to save as a webpage...

Maybe do a search for macros that might already have been written perhaps....

Jay

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
As Jay was getting at, you need to clarify your goals.

Word will produce a function HTML document; save it out and load it into IE or Firefox to see. But if you mean to post it into a web forum editor, then you don't want HTML, but the formatting code that forum requires.

And if the forum has the right tool, you can simply copy/paste, like I did below.

Bold
Italic bold
Normal

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As already said, your example indicates bb type formatting, not HTML. they aren't quite the same. These days a lot of forums have formatting that you can just copy and paste, so long as the forum software is fairly current and you use a decent browser (ex. NOT IE).

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
I guess HTML was the incorrect term. I wanted to post a MS Word doc here in HTF and save the bold and italics formatting. I say "wanted to" as the post I needed to transfer has already been done. I ended up having to go into the post and add the bold and italic formatting by hand, each word at a time.

DaveF, how did you do your example you put in your reply? I could use it for next year.

Thanks.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Dave:

Write the word file with the bold and italicized text already in the document. For example [ b]Person's name[/b ] (without the spaces) and [i ]word you want to italicize here [ /i] (again without the spaces) and then just cut and paste.

Also, instead of one big file split this up over 3 or 4. If you ever need help all you have to do is ask.

Parker

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I just did a copy/paste from Word into this editor. It preserved the formatting.

Hrm. On a PC with Windows XP and Firefox, I was able to copy/paste formatted text directly into here. Now, on my Mac with Firefox, it doesn't work. I don't know the difference.

Bold
Italic
Underline
Normal

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn

Parker,

I did just that last year, but I decided that it would be easier to use the forum's editing tools this time around. With two quick actions of the mouse, I can format a word into bold or italics, using brackets takes seven key-strokes. I suppose the smart thing to do is to insert the formatting using brackets as I go; then I wouldn't be faced with having to do it all at once.

DaveF

I tried to copy and pasted from MS Word into the forum's editor, several times with no success. I'm using MS Office 2002, MS XP Home Edition, and Firefox.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks