Help! Need pre/pro advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Schucher, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

Hello folks. Im in the market (but not a rush) for a pre/pro. I am just getting into seperates and im using a Newcastle AM9080 with a Marantz SR7000 receiver as pre/pro for now. I put my name on the list for the Outlaw but im thinking maybe picking up a used Lex DC1 might be a better way to go. They show up around 1200 with the V4 update. My new house is currently being built and i dont know for sure yet if i will have the room behind me for rear channels. I may be a foot or two0three from the back wall. Is this far enuff to use the rears of a 6.1/7.1 setup? Anyways, what would you do?? new 950 or used DC1 V.4??? The 300 price difference is not the prob

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

DC1 vs Outlaw is easy: Outlaw. The DC-1 has terrible (relatively speaking) 2 channel stereo sound. A better bet is a DC-2 or even better, an MC-1.

You can check ecoustics.com and audioreview.com for reviews.

Also be aware that the Lexicon's do not work properly in a 6.1 system. You have to have either a 5.1 or 7.1. 7.1 is preferred to be able to use Logic 7.

The Lexicon's do not have 5.1 analog bypass for SAcd/DVD-A, if that matters to you.

3 ft behind *should* work. My back wall is 4 ft behind, and works well.