Help--Need name of intense foreign drama/thriller

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Tony Int, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Tony Int

Tony Int Agent

I once again return to pick the brain of the best on the internet! I saw this move last year and want to watch it again with a friend, but for the life of me I cannot remember the name. I tried searching IMDB but could not find it. Not really sure what genre it falls into. It is one of those really intense movies ala Audition. So here is the basic story:

A family is on vacation and two young men arrive appearing to be friendly but soon hold the family hostage and torment/torture them for amusement. It ends with the woman being pushed off a row boat while bound and gagged.

Also, while I am on the subject (perhaps this deserves a different post) any suggestions for similar movies are welcome. I have seen Audition, Battle Royale, Irreversible and a few others. I do have an all region player so nothing is off limits.

Thanks!

Tony

2. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

I believe you are talking about Funny Games directed by Michael Haneke. It's available on a fairly lousy R1 DVD. Not sure of the other region options but you could check at DVDBeaver.com

I would suggest Cache, also by Haneke

Gozu, Dead or Alive, The Happiness of the Katakuris, Visitor Q, Ichi the Killer, and Ley Lines by Takashi Miike (director of Audition )

If you haven't seen any of the films of Takeshi Kitano (he appears in Battle Royale as the coach/director running the "game") , you are missing out on, IMO, the best live action director in current Japanese film (can't choose between him and Miyazaki, thus the "live action" designation)

Start with his more action oriented films -
    Fireworks aka Hana-bi
    Violent Cop
    Sonatine available in R1 on a double disc with his more recent update of Zatoichi

If you haven't already, you might want to check out Shinya Tsukamoto's films Tetsuo the Iron Man, Tetsuo 2, and Tokyo Fist.

3. Tony Int

Tony Int Agent

Brook that is it! IT was driving me crazy because I knew it was a very easy title to remember, but I couldn't. I did rent an import dvd so it was not the R1. I do not remember being bother by the quality.

Thanks for the suggestions I will check them out.

T.

4. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I just watched "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance" and "Oldboy" this week. both impressed the hell out of me. Neither are as hardcore as ICHI, but damn fine films. "Oldboy" especially.

5. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

I really liked Oldboy up until the last 15 minutes or so. Haven't caught the "Mr./Lady Vengeance" movies yet.