HELP: Need list of retailers that are pressuring the studios away from widescreen....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dwayne, Feb 9, 2002.

1. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

I can only think of Walmart at the moment. What other retailers are following this practice?

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Blockbuster and Hollywood Video often are spoken of. Problem is that it's just the chain stores for both of these; franchise locations are free to buy any way they want to.

Also, Blockbuster has stated that - starting this month - they will buy both FS and WS copies of all titles. No word yet if they are known to be keeping their promise; no new dual-format titles have been released yet (AI is next).

K-Mart's been mentioned, but they're heavy into bankruptcy and may no longer be a factor. Video Store Magazine has articles this past 2 weeks about just how MUCH money KaM-A-pART owes to Hollywood studios in home video purchases!

3. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

The reason why I asked is that I would like to send an email to each organization basically stating that I only purchase widescreen in dual release situations. I would further point out that the DVD format is the fastest growing format ever, even when most of the available software was released in widescreen only.

What would be even better is if the membership here could coordinate and all of us send an email to each of the targeted organizations within in an agreed timeframe, be it a day or what not. No one would have to type up different letters for each outfit. Just write one general purpose email and send it off to all of them. But I don't know how many here would be willing to do it.

One thing is certain, though. Can't do anything until a list of targets has been established.

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Wal Mart seems to want dual formats.

My nearby Wal-Mart has both versions of The Mummy, American Pie 1 & 2 (no unrated, though), the Jurassic Park films, and also Grinch.

5. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

For all the heat Wal-Mart gets on this issue, I always find a good selection of both formats at any Wal-Mart I run into. Now Target, on the other hand..................

6. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

I see to remember that when Silence Of The Lambs was released, Walmart was only carrying the PAS version. Have they since changed their policy?
    List so far:
    1. Walmart
    2. Target
    3. Blockbuster
    Come on people. Give me some more. [​IMG]

7. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Blockbuster carries pan and scan for rent, yet the widescreen versions for sale.(except family films)

So as for sell thru they are not that bad, but on the rental side, thats a different story

8. Noel

Noel Extra

I spotted 2 Super-Bit titles,Dracula and The Fifth Element today while @ the local Wal-mart. [​IMG]

9. Hal Olson

Hal Olson Auditioning

I'm in a small market area (city population less than 20,000) and both our Walmart and Target carry widescreen.

Target has been one of my best sources for new release DVD's, only $1.00 more than Best Buy sale prices, and I have to Drive 40 miles to get to Best Buy.

Hal

10. Bill J

Bill J Producer

My Blockbuster has all pan&scan to rent, just like every other Blockbuster. I don't even look at the DVDs on sale because they are usually like five to ten dollars more than what they cost online or at Best Buy. My local Best Buy carries both formats, so I don't think that they are a prime target. My local Target and Walmart almost always have pan&scan only.

Those three are the only places I can think of, I don't think that there can be too much left.

11. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

So all this pressure is coming from only three retailers?

I know Walmart is huge but I was expecting more than this.

Who would be interested in bombarding Walmart with well written emails?

12. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I'll happily e-mail Walmart, Target, and Blockbuster.

13. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

I would post this question in the studio feedback area. The only responses people can give here would be mostly just speculation. The only people that can give you the real answer are the studios.

14. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    I am evenutally going to have a list of retailers on widscreenadvocate.com If anyone has the contact info for the following retailers, I would be greatful.

I need a list of the mailing addresses of all the major retailers, including Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, Best Buy, Target, Kmart, Blockbuster Video, Costco, and Hollywood Vidoe, so that we can organize a letter writing effort.

15. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    My local Costco will only stock Full Screen if there are separate versions available. I had to go elsewhere for the WS versions of "Mummy Returns," "JPIII," "Grinch," and "American Pie 2." I have e-mailed them about my preference for widescreen, and my hopes that they would stock both, but no response so far. Haven't been to Sam's Club in a while, so I'm not sure what they're doing.
    I've generally been able to find both versions at my local Wal-Mart, so I'm not sure if they're really crusading for Full Screen or not. I have noticed that if the shelf space is half-empty, generally the copies remaining are FS, indicating to me that many customers are choosing WS first.
    Rental chain in my area, Movie Gallery, seems to only stock Full Screen versions.
    Won't this WS vs. FS debate be moot in the next 10 years or so? A lot of new TV's are widescreen. Will the non-savvy public then complain about having bars on the sides and demand their widescreen versions? [​IMG]

16. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I've never had a problem getting widescreen discs at my local Wal-Mart, but thats just me. I do check the back every time I make a purchase from there to make sure it's widescreen though. [​IMG]

17. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

You have to understand exactly how much buying power WalMart and Blockbuster have. It's SIGNIFIGANT. It's measured in multiple double digit percentages of all product sold.

18. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

19. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    Very nice list!

I really wish that CostCo was mentioned more as a P&S offender. They never, ever have OAR with dual releases. They also put the titles in that extra cardboard that will many times cover aspect ratio information.

IMHO, CostCo is the biggest retail offender by a long shot.

20. Noel

Noel Extra

I also agree Costco should be at the top of the list of offenders.I buy at least 60% of my DVD's at Costco, would be more like 85% if the stocked WS dual releases.