Help! Need help finding an Infrared Cable!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Moe Maishlish, Nov 9, 2002.

1. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

Hi all,
    Ok - so I bought an RCA Digital Video Sender unit from e-bay, and got stiffed by the seller... turns out that the package is supposed to come with an Infrared Cable, and instead the package came with a regular audio cable... [​IMG]
    I actually started a thread about this original problem here in another section here -> http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=105716
    In any event, I decided to try and find a similar cable in one of my local shops to save myself some time. I doubt that the seller is going to do anything about it, considering the number of e-bay stories I've heard...
    I checked my local RadioShack, and a couple of other local stores, and they have no idea what the hell I'm talking about. The closest I've come to any infrared cable is a serial device for a computer.
    I found a listing for such a cable online here -> http://www.hometech.com/infrared/misc.html#17999 which should do the trick, but I don't know if it's the correct plug size (3.5mm), and I'd need to order the thing... assuming it would work.
    I've toyed with the idea of making my own cable. I can buy an LED, cable, and mini plug, and attempt to solder them together... but my knowledge of circuts is somewhat rusty since University...
    Does anyone know if and/or where I can buy such a cable? Is one of these easy to make? HELP!
    Thanks!
    Moe.

2. Rob_J

Rob_J Stunt Coordinator

Do you mean a fiber optic cable?

3. Moe Maishlish

No... from what I understand these are not fibre optic cables, but regular cable with an IR Emitter attached to one end, and a standard 3.5mm mini-plug on the other.

Moe.

4. Moe Maishlish

I'm about ready to bite the bullet and buy a third-party cable for $12 + shipping. I assume it'll come to around $20 or so, which with the conversion to Canadian $$$ will probably be around $35.
    http://www.hometech.com/infrared/emitters.html#282M
    I'd like the eBay seller to pay for this though, considering that their product was missing this component. I don't really think there's a reason that I should need to supply this myself because they didn't check the package and list the component as missing...
    Anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with the eBay situation? I haven't heard a word from the seller, despite an e-mail that I sent over the weekend. I'd assume that he's probably ignoring it and hoping that I'll go away.
    Moe.