What's new

Help - need advice on Samsung DLP deal at local Sears (1 Viewer)

Pete_N

Auditioning
I was browsing my local Sears' electronics section and found an open box Samsung 43" DLP RPTV (HLN4365W) on closeout for $2099. I talked to a manager who agreed to drop the price another 10% bringing my out the door price to $2043 (includes WA tax of 8%). The salesman put a hold on it and is expecting me back tomorrow. Sears currently has this TV on sale for $2499. I have read numerous reviews of the Samsung DLPs and can hardly find a bad word. I truly want a front projection but that won't happen for some time due to my current house set up (I need to move - maybe a year away). I don't know if anyone has any experience with these TVs but any advice on this deal would be appreciated.

Also, Sears' extended warranty for this TV is $700. They are doing a family and friends deal this Sun, Aug 15, which would get me 10% off that bringing the 5-year EW to $680. Any suggestions on the EW would be great too. The salesman CLAIMED the EW included lamp replacement. I have read a lot on EWs but still cannot decide.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Pete --

Yes, the EW covers the bulb. A friend of mine has the 50in and has had 2 bulbs and a board replaced so far. The first gen 50's had issues.

Doug

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Since the bulbs are priced close th 1/2 your cost of the EW, it would seem prudent to purchase it if it includes bulb replacement....two bulbs in five years is in the range of a good possability. Being a discontinued item and a floor demo makes it more likely it may need some kind of service sooner rather than later. Just my dos centavos.

Mort

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Pete --

Keep in mind that the unit has been on display for probably a year or more (how many hours is that playing non-stop). Also, the bulb is not covered by the warranty, so when your first bulb goes out... which will probably be in the next year or so, you're on your own.

Doug

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
whoa...that is STEEP!!! even bb is only 499.

the tv is only about 2100 right? so that warranty is 30% of the total cost of the tv. but, as i always say, ew's are like car insurance -- you hate to pay it until you need it.

the bulb replacement should run you approx 300 bucks though...so i guess a 400 dollar warranty (i assume four years?) isn't too bad.

also, i know you already bought the tv, but have you looked at the new models? they include faroudja's dcdi chip - which upconverts everything to the tv's native resolution. a very big plus imo...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks